Talk

Advanced search

Insomnia and herbal/natural remedies

(5 Posts)
Madigan Thu 25-Aug-11 20:23:38

I suffer from insomia ... have never been the best sleeper, but in the past 4 years I have had 3 babies in quick succession, so have become used to interrupted sleep. Now my children sleep soundly through the night but I cannot ............. sometimes it takes ages for me to get to sleep, I always always wake up several times a night, I never feel well rested in the morning. I have been taking prescription sleeping tablets (Zoplicone), which help a bit - but now I am looking for a more natural long term solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gincognito Thu 25-Aug-11 21:27:10

Gah, the Internet just ate my reply.

Check out John Kabat-Zinn and his mindfulness meditation. Full Catastrophe Living is a good book to start with.

If you're in London you can go to mindfulness classes run by the London Buddhist Centre. It's not particularly for insomnia but I think it would be very effective (it's used to help people with depression, stress, long term pain etc)

MrsNoggin Thu 25-Aug-11 22:22:59

When I get occasional insomnia I brew up a mix of valerian (sp?) and lime leaf. Recommended to me by the lady in my local health shop. Smells and tastes fairly foul, but does the trick and not so bad with a squidge of honey. Not sure if they would be suitable for long term, but maybe something to look into?

Zoidberg Fri 26-Aug-11 11:54:35

I take Valerian tablets when I've had a few bad nights, to ensure a good on, is herbal. You can get a tincture which you take a few drops of, or tea, see what works for you. Also few drops of lavender oil on your pillow can help.

I find with both these that sometimes I still wake in the night but I'm so much more relaxed that I still feel good in the morning.

dairyair Fri 26-Aug-11 15:41:57

At work the chronic fatigue patients who have insomnia are advised to drink Clipper Sleep Easy organic herbal tea. It contains valerian. Worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now