Talk

Advanced search

When did your DC stop crying at bedtime?

(6 Posts)
LaTristesse Thu 25-Aug-11 13:10:44

DS is 18 months and still cries lots when it's time for bed. He's not a bad sleeper now, will sleep from 7.30 til 5 or thereabouts, but getting him to lie down and calm down is tough!

Unless he's knackered, most nights he'll hang off the cot bars crying and yelling for about 20 mins before he gives up and lies down - I stay in the room, lying on the floor and ignoring him - talking, fussing, offering him his bear or hands to hold just annoys him even more.

When can I expect a calm bedtime? Is he still too small?

Thanks! smile

goodname Thu 25-Aug-11 14:41:35

SOrry I dont know the answer, just wanted to say I have the same problem with my 15 month old (apart from the fact he does not sleep well after bedtime!). Looking forward to seeing what people say.

debka Thu 25-Aug-11 16:02:47

Mine never cried at bedtime..... That doesn't help much, does it....

greeneone12 Fri 26-Aug-11 10:03:52

I have this problem with my 10 month old most of the time - maybe some of them are just more head-strong than others and protest? I have seen other websitessay that a wind down period before bed can help with quiet games and books etc - have you tried that? She is my first so I am still learning...

LaTristesse Fri 26-Aug-11 20:41:10

Thanks for the replies ladies, glad I'm not alone, I was starting to feel like a terrible parent there for a moment...

Yes DS has a good routine, and we always do quiet play then book before lights out and a lullaby. And that's when the protest starts! However he went down lovely tonight which was a welcome surprise! I'm hoping to move him into a single bed in the next 6 months so I hope we manage to get this sorted relatively soon!

iloveholidays Fri 26-Aug-11 21:59:10

I think DD1 started settling a lot happier around the 18 month mark... she has a lot of teddies in her bed and just started randomly chattering to them (still does)!!

She moved into a bed around 21 months and (excluding the last week - where she has started protesting) has been even better and now rarely wakes up.

We've been quite firm with her, bedtime is bedtime and we leave the room, but you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

I suspect he's just trying to make you feel guilty rather than being genuinely upset!!

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now