Talk

Advanced search

12 week old sleeping through, woke last night, cold, hungry or something else?

(6 Posts)
Justtrying Thu 25-Aug-11 08:45:42

My DD 12.5 weeks has been sleeping through for 3 weeks, most mornings she has turned round between 90 and 180 degrees, we hear her moving but generally she doesn't wake. However last night she moved and bashed her head on cot bars, she didn't cry and DH just repositioned her, she was then fully awake, this was 3am. She then wimpered a bit and was sucking fist so I changed her, she was wide awake and wanted to play so gave her a bottle, which she drank quickly, put her back to bed at 3.45 and she went back to sleep.
My question is, is this a one off or was she hungry or too cold, she was in a baby grow and a growbag, it was much cooler last night. She has been eating more the last couple of days so perhaps its a growth spurt, will add a vest tonight, can't really add a blanket as she moves about so much. Will go in search of warmer growbags.

DialMforMummy Thu 25-Aug-11 13:46:17

If she was sucking fist, is there a chance she could have been teething?
I'd use a thermometer to make sure I do the right thing when it comes to night clothing.
At 12 weeks their patterns still change quite a bit. It could be that, had not she been repositioned, she would not have woken up quite as much?
As you can tell, I only have suggestions but no solutions!

haloflo Thu 25-Aug-11 13:58:38

Quite possibly a growth spurt as 12 weeks old is a common time for this. However from excessive sleep research I've found that babies sleep doesn't always get better as they get older (I thought this pre DC!) It just changes. Babies that sleep through early have so much ahead of them which could disrupt sleep.

4 mo sleep regression, teething, separation anxiety etc.

If you think she was cold try a vest under her babygro?

usingapseudonym Thu 25-Aug-11 14:00:46

I'm pregnant and I SOOOOOO want a 12 week old that usually sleeps through. They're quite rare but I so want one! My first didn't sleep through until 10 months.

toolittletime89 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:10:17

Hey, i would be inclined to agree with the repositioning.
I know with my DD that if she wakes up too much at night time i.e. when i stub my toe walking into the cot and swear too loudly, she then expects to be fed!
Babies that wake unexpectantly i.e. by accident, don't know why they wake up so she.might have gotten confused and decided food was the answer LOL!
Just see how she gets on tonight, if she does it (hitting her head) maybe leave it half an hour before you move her, let her get into a deep sleep?? HTH

Justtrying Fri 26-Aug-11 06:18:44

Thanks for all the suggestions, she's slept through last night smile but lots of fist sucking during the early hours, she is however showing all the signs of teething.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now