Talk

Advanced search

6 yr old ds scared of witches and robbers

(9 Posts)
cheekymonk Sat 20-Aug-11 11:26:33

Following on from my previous thread, have had long chat with ds about what is making him so scared. he has asked for a pic of me and other things which are easily sorted but as to how to alleviate the fear of witches and robbers, or someone taking him away at night I am not sure. Am trying to think of creative ideas. I thought about a special spray that if you spray it witches are put off (like mosquito spray- ds had great pleasure doing this on holiday) but it didn't seem to resonate. I think the fear is more deep rotted. Any helpful suggestions? He is waking at least twice a night and very upset.

cheekymonk Sat 20-Aug-11 12:57:35

cheekymonk Sat 20-Aug-11 16:19:47

babycham42 Sat 20-Aug-11 16:24:07

When mine have been scared of particular things at night I"ve used a baby monitor again and assured them I can hear everything so they are safe. If they wake and cry out I"m in there like a shot and sit with them a while. They know I will always come so it seems to make them feel safe and they get over it quite quick.

Hassled Sat 20-Aug-11 16:28:34

Can you think of a way to make witches and robbers less scary? That book Burglar Bill (I can't think of a book with a friendly, non-scary witch but there has to be one - librarian will know) for example? Just do what you can to make them comedy/friendly figures.

But failing taht, and re the robber thing - when DS3 got twitchy about us being burgled I went through my whole locking up the house routine with him. We locked the back gate, then the side gate, then I showed him how the door locks worked and how strong they are etc etc - it helped him to rationalise that actually, a burglar would have a hell of a job getting into the house.

cheekymonk Sat 20-Aug-11 17:39:26

They are really helpful suggestions, thank you both xx

pinkhebe Sat 20-Aug-11 17:40:24

Winnie the witch books are fab.

babycham42 Sat 20-Aug-11 18:15:34

I"m sure most of us can remember what that awful fear feels like still from when we were children.I remember laying there just praying someone would come into my room so I would feel safe.It"s such an abiding memory for me (I was also scared of the dark and a burglar breaking in) which is why I do what I do!
Probably all the experts would say I"m wrong!

inatrance Mon 22-Aug-11 23:19:22

With my DD I got her to imagine the scary thing (in her case a monster) with silly colours like pink with yellow spots, or a ridiculous hat, then gave him a silly voice and had her imagine him with a rather unfortunate flatulence problem every time he took a step. grin

You can also get him to imagine that the fear is a spinning wheel, and to 'spin' it in the opposite direction. Imagining the colour of the fear then changing it to a colour that was 'happy' or 'brave.

Worked a treat! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now