Talk

Advanced search

5 month old waking every 2-3 hours at night....suggestions please!

(3 Posts)
nello Fri 19-Aug-11 09:17:07

can anyone offer any advice? my 5 1/2 month old who DID sleep through the night from 10 weeks until about 12 weeks has gradually got worse and worse at sleeping at night. It moved from sleeping all the way through, to waking once at about 2am, then waking at 2am and 4am (both of which I was happy with as realise it is normal), but now she is going down at about 7.30pm, waking at 10pm, waking at 1/2am, waking at 3am, waking at 5am and then struggling to get her to go back to sleep at all. I feed her to sleep each time, although in the day she will take a nap without being fed to sleep, but in the night she just wants to snuggle into me and feed, she will not go back to sleep if DP tries to calm her and settle her. Surely she can't be this hungry? In the day time she feeds every 4 hours and does not ask for more, and i have just started weaning her with baby rice.

any suggestions? Is this normal? Should I be feeding her every time she wakes in the night or trying something else?

I am exhausted, but if this is normal and i just have to go with her, then that is fine, but I am worried as to why things have changed so much and seem to be getting worse by the day.

thanks.

Zampetta Fri 19-Aug-11 09:28:09

No advice I'm afraid but watching with interest - DS is five months and ten days and has suddenly gone from waking once in the night to waking four times for mammoth feeding sessions.

debka Fri 19-Aug-11 10:48:06

DD2 did something similar at the same age. She started waking for feeds 3x a night, then more often and she wasn't really feeding, then just waking and being awake. Was a nightmare, I was getting no sleep at all. In the end I did controlled crying with her and it worked within one night and she sleeps through now (6mo). If your baby is actually hungrily feeding then it's a different matter IMO, and you'll have to go with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now