Talk

Advanced search

I've just swaddled my nearly 5 month old for sleep but just read you shouldn't do this past 1 month???

(5 Posts)
cockle84 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:44:57

My baby used to have to be swaddled for every nap when she was younger but for the last 2 months I have been able to get her down just by rocking with a dummy and no swaddle. She has been very unsettled the last few days, her wind has been terrible for some reason and she was just having a massive scream up trying to push me away while I tried to rock her with the dummy.

I swaddled her with her dummy and she settled almost instantly but I've just read you shouldn't swaddle past a month!!!!! She never sleeps at night swaddled so is it ok just for short naps in the day????

Angel786 Mon 15-Aug-11 14:55:35

We swaddled up til 4.5 months then moved on to grow bags. Don't think there's any harm in it as your baby is not restricted in movement ftom swaddling at night.

MonsterBookOfTysons Mon 15-Aug-11 14:56:38

With ds we swaddled till about 6 months maybe longer, and he is fine. smile

sancerrre Mon 15-Aug-11 14:59:56

I'd be worried that she could roll over and then be less able to move / lift her head with her arms swaddled. I guess rolling is hard when swaddled but it would still keep me awake worrying about it.

ningyo Mon 15-Aug-11 18:50:22

We swaddled until ds was 4.5 months. It really helped him sleep for longer stretches. We stopped as he'd get out of the swaddle regularly by that age, so switched to sleeping bags. Did the source saying not to swaddle after a month give any reasons? Would be interesting to see what they were. Our ds could roll front to back while we were swaddling, but couldn't go the other way so that didn't seem like a concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now