Talk

Advanced search

Help! I'm at the door

(6 Posts)
beachavendrea Sun 14-Aug-11 19:40:41

my ds used to be an awesome self-settler at night from 6 months. Now at 15 months he has a bit of separation anxiety I think and has now lost that skill.

For the past few nights i have been standing in his room making my way from his cot to the door. Now my back is at the door, what do i do next?

Half way out the door? then a foot?

Anyone who was tried this technique and it has worked i welcome your tips

nearlytherenow Sun 14-Aug-11 19:59:53

We did this with DS1, and it worked well. However, the "at the door" stage did last for a while! I didn't mind, because at this point he was sleeping through (which was what I was aiming for, rather than self settling for its own sake). We eventually (after a good few weeks) moved to outside the door, with the door open, then outside the door with the door almost closed. Then were able to just walk away. Good luck.

TwinkleToes76 Sun 14-Aug-11 21:07:11

I think we did the bit from the door to outside the door in about 4 days - so at the door with it open, in the doorway, outside with door open, outside with door partly closed and light on outside. It then took a couple of weeks of being outside the door for a few minutes before we would just walk away. By the time we got to the door, like nearlytherenow, my daughter was sleeping through and falling asleep on her own pretty quickly. If he isn't yet settling himself to sleep maybe you need to retreat ever so slightly back in the room for a few more days! I was evangelical about this technique it worked so well for us. Hope you get outside soon!

beachavendrea Sun 14-Aug-11 21:12:27

Thanks guys, I'll try with the door open tomorrow and expect it to take some time.

xxxx

AngelDog Sun 14-Aug-11 22:50:56

Could be working on the 15 month developmental leap (65 weeks is when it happens IIRC) which causes a sleep regression.

beachavendrea Mon 22-Aug-11 13:15:37

it worked! for the past three night /naps he has gone down easily all by himself. didn't this would work. i am a bit amazed.

thanks for the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now