Talk

Advanced search

16 weeks. Sleep regression? Any advice?

(6 Posts)
nearlytherenow Sun 14-Aug-11 18:31:26

DS2 was a brilliant sleeper until a week ago. Since 4 days old he's only really been up for one night feed in an 11-12 hour night, and lately was, more often than not, sleeping 10 hour stretches. We could not believe our luck (DS1 was a truly appalling sleeper, up and down all night (pretty much hourly) until about 7/8 months, and didn't sleep through until well over one).

The last week has been dreadful. He is up every 2/3 hours. I cannot get him to go back to sleep without feeding him (he is EBF). I don't actually feed him to sleep, though - and this is why I am surprised at this sleep regression - he has, since birth, self settled at night, and during the night (I don't ever leave him to cry, he just goes happily into his cot and goes to sleep). So last night he settled himself to sleep 5 times (after feeds), but still kept waking. Naps have gone all to pot too (were never as predictable as nights, but reasonable - used to have 3/4 naps of 45 mins - an hour, now he seems keen to get through the day on as little sleep as possible and rarely settles himself for a nap).

I feel like he's feeding more at night than he is through the day now. If I hadn't read so much saying that this is unlikely to be the case, I would be convinced that he is just too hungry on breastmilk alone (he is a big boy, 91st centile+).

Is there anything I can do about this? Or can anyone just give me hope that it's likely to be a short phase? I was so sure that DS1's problems were all down to only being able to fall asleep feeding, and often being allowed to sleep in our bed. But we've avoided these things with DS2, and he now looks to be heading the same way. I cannot face the thought of months of this to come with 2 small children to look after all day!

TryLikingClarity Sun 14-Aug-11 21:12:10

Hello!

I didn't want this thread to go unanswered, and I remember when my (now 18 month old) DS was going through this phase.

Trust me, IT WILL GET BETTER!!!

My DS was also 91st centile - he was 8lb 6oz at birth - and I also bf him.

You're doing a great job, just keep pushing through it.

One thing that helped me when I was struggling at this stage is to go over old threads on MN for advice. Do a MN search for '4 month sleep regression' or words to that effect and you'll find scores of mums grinding their teeth about the same through to past few years.

Your DS is going through a growth spurt, learning new things and just needs the extra cuddles and milk for nutrients.

Hope things get better for you soon, have a brew on me smile

nearlytherenow Sun 14-Aug-11 22:39:45

Thank you TryLiking. I think I know in my heart that this is just 4 month sleep regression that will eventually (please, reasonably soon!!) pass, but it's just so demoralising when I thought things were going so much better this time. Thanks for the brew, it will keep me going through what is bound to be another long night!

faverolles Sun 14-Aug-11 22:44:19

Ds did this too - horrible time! I really feel for you.
It lasted about 4 weeks, I just did what I could to keep going. I used to have a sleep during the day to try and catch up.
Hope he sleeps again soon!

AngelDog Sun 14-Aug-11 22:47:37

There’s useful information on the sleep regression here, here, here and here.

Not many naps will probably mean lots more night waking. I'd anything you can - sling, pushchair, whatever - to get a nap after 1.5-2 hours (ish) of being awake and not worry about bad habits. If he won't sleep, though, he won't - not napping often goes with sleep regressions.

The baby I know who suffered most from the 4 month regression was able to self-settle: feeding to sleep vs self-settling makes little difference, but previously 'good' sleepers usually go back to being good sleepers once it's past. It usually stops once they hit the 19 week developmental leap (around 19 weeks from their due date, that is).

nearlytherenow Wed 17-Aug-11 18:56:56

Thank you for your replies and advice. I really think this must be genuine sleep regression as nothing will now get him to take a reasonable nap. Today he has had two 10-15 minute naps, and 30 minutes in the sling this afternoon. He even woke up in the sling with me still walking after half an hour, and he'd had no sleep all day so he must have been tired.

AngelDog thank you, you've given me hope that this might pass in a few weeks!! He was born at 39 weeks, so we're only 3 weeks off 19 weeks from his due date (if that makes any sense at all).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now