Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gina Ford's advice on making up a cot

(11 Posts)
suzie296 Sat 13-Aug-11 17:43:00

Hi everyone x

Can anyone help me? I have been reading the CLB book by Gina Ford and she describes how best to make up your cot using a sheet and blanket to avoid having to change all the bedding of a night time should there be any leaks. The pictures and the words dont quite seem to match up and i cant get my head round how to do it. Can anyone explain it in words a first time mum can understand :0S

MockingbirdsNotForSale Sat 13-Aug-11 20:50:35

I read it before I had my DD and decided to bin it as I could not understand it. Instead I use a sleeping bag (grobag) for my DD and a normal sheet on the bed and it does contain leaks- but we don't tend to have any.

FakePlasticTrees Sat 13-Aug-11 20:57:21

I read it and tended to ignore the bit about how to make up the bed, apart from anything else, DS likes sleeping bags (like grow bags).

I think she's basically saying put on a normal bottom sheet, then if you can get the flat pram sheets, put one of those over the top so if there's a leak, you can just whip off that and have the normal bottom sheet below to put the baby back on.

Also I can recommend putting a disposable changing mat under the sheets, saves you having to scrub the mattress after a wee/poo/vom incident.

Cattleprod Sat 13-Aug-11 20:59:08

Forget faffing about with sheets and get a few grobags - so much easier!!

cherub59 Sun 14-Aug-11 16:13:37

Grobags!

BertieBotts Sun 14-Aug-11 16:17:33

I guess she just means to double layer the cot in case of any nappy leaks or sick incidents. I got a load of flat cotton nappies from freecycle and just used to lie DS on one of these.

thisisyesterday Sun 14-Aug-11 16:23:52

i can help you.
throw the gina ford book in the bin.

then, just make the cot up with some sheets and blankets, or a gro-bag and follow your instincts.
people have mothered for eons without gina ford to tell them how to feed their baby or make up a cot smile you'll be fine

cfc Sun 14-Aug-11 20:24:34

I had no instincts to speak of and Gina Ford saved my sanity. I speak truthfully.

HandMini Mon 15-Aug-11 11:05:16

Slightly unhelpful post thisisyesterday, I'm sure Suzie is well aware she can mother without Gina. She's just asking for some practical tips on sheet folding! I too think Gina is a useful reference book, so while I wouldn't follow her routine guidance it's a good one to have on the shelf.

schobe Mon 15-Aug-11 11:09:32

Only useful tip in the whole book was to put a muslin or sheet down under where the baby's head goes to catch sick etc.

Just lay it over the bottom sheet and tuck it in at the sides. Then replace when gooey.

Other than that, I always preferred sleeping bags tbh. All her flat sheet and blanket tucking in sounded like she was a Victorian nanny. <Refrains from further comment about Victorian nanny approaches.>

BsshBossh Tue 16-Aug-11 22:44:47

When DD was baby and I was following GF (which was brilliant for baby and us by the way), I just used a Grobag but had two sheets beneath her in case of leaks, regurg...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now