Talk

Advanced search

2 year old naps??

(11 Posts)
ChattyChick121x Wed 10-Aug-11 14:35:04

Hi anyone have any advice for me, i have a 2 year old little boy who will not go to bed at night.... am thinking its because i give him an afternoon nap. He did have 1 in the morning but stop that because he did not want them any more, but where i was putting him up for an afternoon nap, when it came to bed time he did not want to know... I have let him stay awake today and hoping he will settle better tonight what do you think?????? need help

ilovedjasondonovan Wed 10-Aug-11 14:48:46

Ah, its that nasty transition time for a couple of months where they don't sleep at night, but sometimes still want a sleep in the day.

My DDs went through this at 17 and 19 months respectively, so we never made it to 2. What I did was leave them to sleep for 20 mins max, then wake them up. Come bedtime they are tired and hey presto they go off to sleep. Try not to leave them for 1-2 hours, no matter how tempting it is. You'll get your time back in the evenings instead to do stuff and wind down.

ChattyChick121x Wed 10-Aug-11 15:00:24

Hi he has stayed awake today with NO nap so i am looking at 7 bedtime at the latest fingers crossed,cant see how he wont be tired

ilovedjasondonovan Wed 10-Aug-11 15:24:42

Go for it. Sometimes when they are cutting out naps altogether they may fall asleep at tea time, but don't give them more than 20 mins. They probably won't want to eat their tea either if they do that, but don't worry about that, they won't starve in a couple of weeks time they'll have adjusted themselves to no naps and falling asleep within 30 seconds at bedtime they are so tired.
Good luck, although its not nice losing their daytime naps its SO much better when they do, in a strange way.

ChattyChick121x Wed 10-Aug-11 17:25:18

My little boy fell to sleep around 3 on me could not keep him awake as he was up from 7 this mornin, good thing is he only 20 mins, so he has had tea and gunna have bath in a bit, i think he will still go down

debka Wed 10-Aug-11 17:27:48

DD1 is like this. She can't quite do without a nap so i let her have 45 mins after lunch (1-1.45) and she sleeps at night ok.

ChattyChick121x Wed 10-Aug-11 19:13:13

Do you think i am putting my ds to bed early its 7pm?????

mumcanIaskaquestion Wed 10-Aug-11 19:18:54

I don't think 7pm is to late. My 3 have gone to bed at 6.30 - 7pm at 2yrs but I always put them down for a sleep after lunch about 12.30pm and never let them sleep after 2.30- 3pm.

ChattyChick121x Wed 10-Aug-11 19:27:07

Well i tried to put my little boy up, as always went mad screaming, so back down with me, he has only had 20 mins sleep 2day, bedtimes are so dificult at the moment

debka Wed 10-Aug-11 19:30:43

He had his sleep too late. If my 2yo sleeps after 3pm she won't settle at bedtime. Tomorrow, put him down for a nap straight after lunch and wake him after 45 minutes. He should then be ready for bed by 7-7.30.

ChattyChick121x Wed 10-Aug-11 20:58:44

OK thankyou xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now