Talk

Advanced search

4 month old does not nap in the day!

(9 Posts)
sadalot Mon 08-Aug-11 19:29:12

my 4 month old goes to sleep in the day times in his cot but will wake up crying if he is disturbed by minor sounds downstairs! its the holidays and it is hard keeping the other two quiet - but the other two are very quiet anyway!! please help with any advice!!

Albrecht Mon 08-Aug-11 19:31:58

You could try playing gentle music as he's falling asleep, then leave it on and that might help to mask any noise from downstairs.

Ktay Mon 08-Aug-11 19:35:49

Good idea - or white noise, you can download it from iTunes

sadalot Mon 08-Aug-11 19:59:37

thank you ladies - also he always awakes from his naps screaming -any ideas?

YogaMummy2B Mon 08-Aug-11 22:16:40

Has he always done this?
Does he sleep well at night?
How is he the rest of the day?
How are his feeds?
Sorry for 20 questions but it might give some clues. I third the white noise, I got a great womb to world CD that I play on repeat & it seems to cut out the other house noises. However waking screaming sounds like perhaps another cause other than being disturbed from sleep.

Sleepglorioussleep Mon 08-Aug-11 22:56:30

We have two older children and White noise (I downloaded an app for iPhone this time after using old radio between stations for other two!) really masks noise and allows five week old dd to sleep.

sadalot Mon 08-Aug-11 23:11:08

in response to yogamummy2b he started this screaming when he was 7 wks old. he sleeps from 9pm to 4am then seems to wake evry hour for a bf until i have had a enough and bring him downstairs at 8am. he is more happy in the morning than the evening. loves being held all the time - i know i have spoilt him but i don't know what to do. his bfs are not that great but is gaining weight. i will defo try the white noise suggestion.

YogaMummy2B Mon 08-Aug-11 23:49:38

Mmmm!! Sounds a little like he might have a tiny touch of silent reflux.
Do you eat dairy products? If so, I would cut them out of your diet for a week or two to see if it helps. Often dairy intolerance can cause fussy feeding and the light sleeping/screaming on waking as he may be in a little pain.
Also prop his crib up on blocks to see if that makes any difference.
Perhaps something to discuss with your GP or HV?

sadalot Tue 09-Aug-11 13:23:47

thank you yogamummy2b i am going to visit the hv this afternoon and will discuss with them. i have tried the advice of introducing background noise today and he is still sleeping after 1 hour - brill or what!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now