Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If I don't do any kind of sleep training, will DS eventually sleep through of his own accord?

(9 Posts)
mololoko Sat 06-Aug-11 20:56:04

If so, when? grin

EBF 5mo DS feeds every 2 hours at night. We cosleep so it's fine as long as I go to bed early, but I would like my evenings back at some point!

LaTristesse Sat 06-Aug-11 21:15:11

My DS is 17 mo and still doesn't sad. however, as of about 12 months he did start to do a good 7 hours on the trot, leaving me my evenings to eat, wash up, clean, iron etc which had all become a distant memory. My DS is a totally rubbish sleeper though, I'm sure there are plenty of babies out there who manage it fine much earlier...

sleeplessinderbyshire Sat 06-Aug-11 21:17:27

DD started to sleep reasonably consistently from about 21 months. Actually I tried almost everythig I could think of and nothoig worked except going with the flow and waiting for her to grow out of it

beeprepared Sat 06-Aug-11 21:19:27

Yes, yes, yes. At one stage my DS woke every 45 minutes!! It nearly killed me but he just gradually got better. I read a bit (loads!) of No cry sleep solution- I'm not sure it did much other than made me feel less despairing, but really it gets easier it just takes a while. I think the turning point for us was once most teeth were through.

mololoko Sat 06-Aug-11 21:23:48

Oh dear, my DD is 3 and still hasn't got all her teeth.

If someone had told you it would take them so long to sleep through, would you have tried to sleep train earlier?

Whilst I don't mind it at the moment, the thought of doing this for the next year or two is a bit scary. Does it just become a new normality?

LakeFlyPie Sat 06-Aug-11 21:24:12

They all get there in the end, some sooner than others.

DS1 was one The Others, slept through reliably at 2 yrs, just in time for me to enjoy the waking in the night of pg no 2 and now the broken nights with DS2 who I'm hoping will be a better sleeper sooner (but at 8 mos isn't showing any signs yet).

As long as they bf to sleep when they do wake then it's not too bad.

Good luck smile

STIGZ Sun 07-Aug-11 17:42:25

Hi everyone,

will try & make this short and sweet and any suggestions at all would so appreciated!

My DD who is 18 months has never been a great sleeper, she had acid reflux until 7 months old so basically 4 nights out seven she would end up in bed with me and my partner.

This is now the case 18 months on and I think its a comfort thing now, my partner drives for a living and i am a nursery teacher who has to be on the ball all day at work, i am absolutly shattered to the point of exhaustion, i also have low iron stores regularly which doesnt help!!

Cannot sleep with her in bed beside us anymore as she is getting so big and her arms and legs are everywhere, I normally get punched and kicked so much that i end sleeping on the couch.

I would say we get one night out of seven if we are lucky where she will sleep right through till the morning, it seems to be once she has been sleeping for four and half hours she will wake up, sometimes she goes straight back to sleep once she is in beside us and then other times she will be awake for 3 hours before she nods off again.

I hope someone can give me some advice on this as me and DP relationship is beginning to suffer.

thank you

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 07-Aug-11 19:02:41

I sometimes think it's worth thinking of sleep as a developmental milestone. You can't make a child walk, eat or talk, if you view sleeping through in a similar vein it makes life a bit easier to deal with. they all get there in their own time and really mostly it's a matter of waiting (and of grasping every possible chance of sleep you can like early nights, afternoon naps) and thinking this too shall pass

smearedinfood Sun 07-Aug-11 19:51:42

STIGZ hugs to you, we have a cotbed we've attached to the side of our bed if that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now