Talk

Advanced search

Does moving baby to their own room improve sleep?

(10 Posts)
KentishMaid1977 Sat 06-Aug-11 17:44:51

DD is 6 months old and sleeps in a cotbed in our room. She is exclusively breastfed and wakes 3-4 times per night. I'm not entirely convinced that this is always due to hunger but it's so easy for me to sit up in bed and semi-doze whilst feeding her back to sleep.

However, DH is also disturbed and has suggested that moving DD to her own room might improve her sleep as perhaps we're all disturbing each other.

Not sure if I'm convinced though and I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences.

bagelmonkey Sat 06-Aug-11 18:39:35

We recently moved our 6mo into her own room. She's sounds exactly like your DD (BF, wakings etc). The one thing it has definitely helped with hs that she isn't being woken by DH! He tends to be fairly noisy getting into bed etc, so that always used to wake her a bit. Not sure I could say that it's definitely made all that much difference overall, since the move to her own room coincided with moving house and her sleep went to shit, but I think she's waking less now than before the move.
If nothing else, we've been having more sex. So I'd say it's worth it just for that.
smile

BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 06-Aug-11 18:48:13

Watching with interest. V similar situation. But also DS has started moving about in his sleep and crib is therefore too small an no room for cotbed in our room. Tonight is first trial

Beamur Sat 06-Aug-11 18:50:32

It did for us - both me and DD, but she was 14 months old. She was still waking to bf and I was sure by this time she didn't actually need it! She slept through without complaint by the 3rd night and made little real fuss for the first 2 nights.

neversaydie Sat 06-Aug-11 19:01:54

Moving DS to his own room improved my sleep and his. The first night, DH woke up 6 times and went to check he was still breathing!

Need I add that it was DH's idea in the first place?grin

ChubbaBubba Sat 06-Aug-11 19:23:03

We were in an almost identical situation 3 weeks ago. Ds 6 months also ebf was waking 4 times a night on a good night and I was knackered. Since we moved him to his own room he wakes twice a night for a quick feed and goes straight back to sleep after. The effect was immediate and he's a much happier baby for it. I say give it a go!

Grumpla Sat 06-Aug-11 19:26:15

It did for us. My DH is a very loud snorer and was definitely waking DS up!

You can always move her back in with you if it doesn't work out.

Angel786 Sat 06-Aug-11 21:48:06

Def did for us. Otherwise she would wake up at the slightest sound like if I turned around. Was scared to sleep myself too for fear of waking her. Much better now, she still wakes up at night, grumbles but mostly goes back to sleep herself...

gallicgirl Sat 06-Aug-11 22:06:46

DD is FF and we moved her into her own room a couple of weeks ago at 6 months.

In fairness, she slept pretty well anyway but I think we definitely disturbed her when we went to bed and I would be up a couple of times in the night just to quickly settle her/put dummy in when she stirred.

She sleeps brilliantly now and if she does stir I either don't hear it or she settles herself.

naturalbaby Sat 06-Aug-11 22:14:00

<hollow laugh> no. wink
i've been through this with my older 2 and my baby is now 6months and staying put. with my older 2 i cut down slowly on the night feeds and tried to get in as much food during the day as possible, and offered a bit of cereal before bed. it was then down to breaking the 'habit' of waking at night and once they hit 6months they were more aware of what was going on and were not happy being moved out of our cosy room into a room on their own. they took longer to settle without us there and i ended up sitting in ds1's room for over an hour when he woke in the middle of the night then doing sleep training. (ds2 went into ds1's room which helped) sorry for being all doom and gloom!

i'd give it a few weeks to increase the food/milk during the day and try and cut back on the night feeds - feed for less each feed rather than try not to feed each time she wakes.
has she got a comforter to help her settle back to sleep? i always offer that first then feed if he's still grizzling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now