Talk

Advanced search

5.30am wake up every day, 16 months old......fed up :-(

(16 Posts)
lancashirewife Thu 04-Aug-11 06:59:22

DS3 is still up around 5.30 every day. I seriously thought by now he'd have got past this rotten phase. I though as he was more active he'd sleep better.

No matter what time he goes to bed - 6.30, 7, 7.30 he's up the same. Makes no difference how long his daytime naps are. He's only on 1 nap now, but often mornings are a struggle and if he's in the pram will fall asleep in the morning.

And wonderful advice. I'm seriously sick of it and tired. He wakes the other kids up too. I'm surviving by having early nights myself and dh taking turns, but it's getting beyond a joke.

DH was so fed up the other morning he gave DS a bottle and he went back to sleep for another 2 hours. And the day after. So he's clearly tired. He wakes screaming every morning too, no happy gurgling sounds when he wake, but full on screaming...and clearly still tired.

It's a phase, (a bloody long one) but thought I'd try for advice, just in case....

icd Thu 04-Aug-11 10:45:51

Is his room completely dark? Also, if he had a bottle and goes back to sleep... isn't that the solution?

Teleaddict Thu 04-Aug-11 21:11:41

Would echo icd, if he goes back to sleep with a bottle then I'd give him a bottle!

Iggly Sat 06-Aug-11 13:37:03

Give him the bottle! He's no doubt hungry - that's a long time without food or drink.

MrsJamin Sat 06-Aug-11 13:43:04

I am in exact same situation but DS2 is 18months and he wakes at 5am! He is most definitely hungry, all he wants is milk. I am so fed up of sauntering downstairs at 5 to microwave some milk, I too am knackered but I can't see a way around it. He wakes up DS1 and often we're all up downstairs at 5.30 as they share a room and won't both go back to sleep when they know the other one is awake. It can't get any darker in their room. I have no answers just my commiserations.

pinkhebe Sat 06-Aug-11 13:46:52

We used to stick ds2 in our bed and put Shrek on (his fave dvd) and go back to sleep. He was a nice biddable boy - could never have done this with ds1 grin

thestringcheeseincident Sat 06-Aug-11 13:48:57

Many sympathies, we are having the same battle with DD2. DD1 did this for 18 long months and I can't believe we have another early riser. It kills us.
When you find a miracle solution, do shout it from the rooftops.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 06-Aug-11 13:56:46

DD2 is the same, 18 months, I have put her to bed at 20h30/21h since the holidays and she is waking up later around 7h (sometimes a tiny bit later grin) is that possible for you?

DD1 was an early riser as well but would be in terrible mood from 18h30 so I couldn't put her to bed later. The early wake up stopped when she dropped the nap around 2/2.5 yo.

DD2 is just happy pottering along later without tantrums or disturbing me (not much me time left in the day but I feel a bit less grumpy).

sheeplikessleep Tue 09-Aug-11 08:35:39

Just marking my place too!
DS2 is 17 months, sleeps 7pm - 5am every day and has done consistently for the last 9 months.
I BF him as soon as he wakes, well within 10 minutes or so and he is then up and awake for the day. He refuses to go back to sleep.
Trying CC next week, as it is so exhausting. I'm going to try no milk until 6.30am, giving porridge just before bed in the evening too.
I'm really hoping someone comes on who has a solution!!!

Zimm Tue 09-Aug-11 10:37:54

from what I've read about early waking at this age there is no solution, until they can understand things like gro-clocks and rewards etc. Evening day light helps some I think. If your DC sleep through at this age and early waking is your only issue I'd leave well alone to be honest. Just my view - it is a pain though - DD up anytime from 5.30-6.00am and does not always sleep through. Zzzzzz

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 09-Aug-11 11:15:12

We are here too...DD2 (2 years) wakes up 5:30ish every day but this has moved back to nearer to 5 now.

She shares a room with DD1 (4.5) who starts school in Sept and needs her sleep, this is killing me, I go to bed a 9 every night now....

Nothing works she is hungry when she wakes up and begs for milk and breakfast, am going to try giving her tea a bit later and also giving her a bowl of cereal or something before she goes to bed.

You have my sympathy, it is hideous.

beachavendrea Tue 09-Aug-11 14:25:38

my ds did this for a couple of months. we used to bring him into our bed and i think that was the attraction of getting up early.
so we just started giving him a bottle when he woke and my husband would pull out a mat tress and sleep on the floor in his bedroom. if he got fussy and cried we would just get him up.
then slowly the early-wake up time stopped and he no longer wanted the bottle that early.
now he wakes at 7 most days. sometimes i hear him wake at 6:30 and just doze, he never did this before would also cry when he woke up.

i think it was our attention he wanted so when we stopped giving him this he stopped waking up, it took a couple of weeks.

it completely knackers you though.

ProudButTiredDad Wed 10-Aug-11 23:02:30

Darkness helps. My two boys (I'm new to this so don't know the acronyms!) sleep better and longer when they don't know it's light outside and think it's playtime. There are lots of blinds on the market but try www.lightsoutblinds.com.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 11-Aug-11 16:32:54

I actually do think that when my DD2 wakes that early she is hungry, she is always cries when she wakes at that time and asks for milk and breakfast/ cereal and goes nuts till she gets it.

She ate really really well last night, and later and woke at 6:30 today...I am going to try and make sure she eats well in the evening and hope that helps...

kezlmn Mon 15-Aug-11 22:38:54

Having the same problem at the mo but times 2! My 2 year old twins waking before 6 every morning and its killing me and their older brother who shares a room with them! Tried no daytime sleep but then just grumpy from mid afternoon till bed and took long time to settle cos overtired?? Late tea not helped. Still have milk from beaker to go to bed with. May try cereal supper incase hungry though... Open to anymore suggestions. If thats not enough their newest phase is to take upto an hour to settle... help?!

IA71 Mon 22-Oct-12 10:35:22

We have been experimenting with his bedtimes. It was 7pm but then he started waking up at 5.30 so we pushed it to 7.30 and it worked for a few months but now he has started waking up at 5.30 again. We put him to bed at 7.15 last night and he woke up at 4.45! We are going to get a Gro Clock. It arrives today. Shall let you know if it helps. Thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now