Talk

Advanced search

6mo Naps. (Or lack of)

(4 Posts)
bagelmonkey Wed 03-Aug-11 12:52:46

My 6 mo DD has never been a great sleeper, but things had really improved using shh-pat & PU/PD and she was going off for naps really well and sleeping for up to 1 3/4 hours until we moved house almost 2 weeks ago.
Since then I've really struggled to get her to nap at all and when she does fall asleep her naps are getting shorter and shorter. As a consequence her nighttime sleep is getting worse. No matter how tired she is she's waking after 10-15 mins, wide eyed and smiling at me, wanting to play, but still yawning & looking tired. I'm exhausted & don't know what to do. I was so frustrated when she woke up after 15mins again I cried.
She will fall asleep being BF at night, but not during the day unless she's really exhausted and I'd managed to stop that before we moved.
I just don't know what to do anymore and I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

KentishMaid1977 Wed 03-Aug-11 13:11:00

Sympathies. I've just posted about my 6mo who has to be either pushed in the pram or rocked to sleep and will then only go for 40 mins (I appreciate that 40 mins must sound luck a luxury if you've only been getting 10-15 mins though...)

I've been trying a technique found in the No Cry Nap Solution book by Elizabeth Pantley where the very moment you hear your baby start to stir you try to get them back to sleep by doing whatever it was that got them to sleep originally (i.e. rocking/pushing the pram/shushing etc). I'm only having limited success, but I haven't been quite as vigilent about being there the moment DD wakes up - she seems bright eyed and very awake when I get to her, but is soon yawning and rubbing her eyes again...

bagelmonkey Wed 03-Aug-11 13:14:38

I've been staying by her side, still gently rubbing her back (she sleeps on her front), but she just suddenly flips herself over onto her back and starts grinning and playing. sad

KentishMaid1977 Wed 03-Aug-11 13:20:43

Oh dear. It's so disheartening isn't it? I dislike the fact I seem to spend all day trying to get DD to sleep. sad

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now