Talk

Advanced search

Help! My 8.5 month old DD is laughing at me!!! Need her to sleep..

(13 Posts)
SleepySuzy Mon 01-Aug-11 11:03:37

I have always BF DD to sleep. Today I decided I would see if she could do it herself, so I have BF her, then put her in her cot awake.

She is in a sleeping bag, but still manages to flip herself onto her front, then stand up in the cot! Every time I lay her down and say go to sleep, she just laughs and gets back up like it's a game. I am not smiling or laughing at her. Just putting her back down.

Am I wasting my time?

SleepySuzy Mon 01-Aug-11 13:04:16

I am thinking maybe it is the wrong way of doing it, and I should just go with the flow...?

Tamdin Mon 01-Aug-11 13:14:06

Have no advice because I'm in the same boat! Ds2 is 7 months and has always bf to sleep.
I've even given up on the cot and we co-sleep. Am happy enough to go with the flow for now. I know not bfing to sleep is step one of self settling but I can't be bothered grin
I'm sure someone with sensible advice will be along soon smile

SleepySuzy Mon 01-Aug-11 13:21:42

Thank you for joining. TBH it is getting me down.

She hasn't slept yet today as I'm struggling to even BF to sleep. As soon as I put her in the cot she wakes and wants to get up, but I know she's tired.

What are you doing for naps?

Tamdin Mon 01-Aug-11 13:32:07

He is the king of cat naps! Never goes past the 45-50 min mark. The outcome of that then means that he's basically tired every 2 hours.
If we're at home I'll go upstairs give him a quick feed, he's asleep within minutes and then i will maybe pop him in his cot (beside our bed) or lie him down gently beside me on the bed and slip out.
If it's term time and I'm in and out on school run or shopping etc he'll doze off anywhere. Car, buggy etc.
I keep thinking I really must get this sorted then think "maybe tomorrow" grin
In all serious though from reading other threads breaking the suck to sleep association seems to be key in getting them to self settle.
You might find more help if you repost in bf topic smile

Tamdin Mon 01-Aug-11 13:35:18

Seriousness

TimeWasting Mon 01-Aug-11 13:37:53

If you feed to sleep at night, you should tackle that first. Keep doing whatever you need to to get her to sleep in the day, for me this was bf or buggy. When she can go to sleep at bedtime herself you try at naptimes again.

SleepySuzy Mon 01-Aug-11 13:46:43

Really? I thought it would be better the other way round. Hmm.. time for a rethink.

tamdin I have a trick for getting her to have long naps, it's just getting her to sleep in the first place. I make sure the house is noisy, loud telly or music in the next room. Then little noises don't wake her and she always has a decent nap. And... she's finally gone to sleep! (with telly on in my room!)

Tamdin Mon 01-Aug-11 13:56:27

Unfortunately we do that anyway and it makes no difference. Trying to keep ds1 quiet would be impossible and we often have the radio or tv on in our bedroom.
He still wakes nearly exactly to the min 45mins after he's gone to sleep. Am hoping he might just surprise me one day and have a long nap smile

SleepySuzy Mon 01-Aug-11 14:40:24

Ah sorry. It was worth a try.

Tamdin Mon 01-Aug-11 20:08:06

Anything is worth a try! Thanks SS.

UKSky Tue 02-Aug-11 23:10:31

Sleepysuzy I've just started doing this with DD. She's a bit older at 1 year but it's working. 1st night took 2 hours. 2nd night took 45 mins and tonight (3rd night) took just 15 minutes.

So, if you have the patience it should work.

HappyAsASandboy Wed 03-Aug-11 04:58:33

I chose the path of least resistance and kept feeding to sleep smile My twins are now 9 months, and for the last few weeks, they've been awake after their bedtime feed and have self settled (with me in the room, generally on MN folding laundry or something). We don't have set times for naps - I put them down for a sleep when I notice they're knackered, either with or without a BF depending on them/where we are, and they generally sleep for between 45 mons and 2 hours, again depending on where we are.

I'm very much of the take-each-day-as-it-comes and do-what-you-need-to-to-survive schools of thought, but from 8 months or so both of my babies seem to have settled into a reasonable nap routine and bedtimes are normally fairly staightforward smile

Don't know why I'm posting really, just wanted to say that they eventually learn to self settle even if you continue to feed to sleep for a while smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now