Talk

Advanced search

4 month no longer sleeping through....what's that all about then?

(10 Posts)
cockle84 Sun 31-Jul-11 04:55:56

I feel a bit cheeky with this as I know I'm very lucky to have a baby who slept through but I need some reassurance that she will sleep through again. She was going from about 8.30ish to anywhere between 4.30 and 6.00 but ever since that magic 4 month marker she has been waking up windy and hungry. Sometimes she'll go back down straight away but more often I can't get her back down for hours. Help!!

SittingBull Sun 31-Jul-11 05:05:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TanteRose Sun 31-Jul-11 05:21:11

normal - its called the 4 month sleep regression - lots of info on google

Good luck!

matana Sun 31-Jul-11 08:57:30

Loads of info on regression here on mumsnet too....for me, it has been eclipsed by the 8/9/10 month regression though!

scarlettlips Sun 31-Jul-11 10:23:21

How long does it last for....????

Zimm Sun 31-Jul-11 10:23:58

DD was exactly teh same. 6 weeks - 4 months she did 8.30-5.30ish without fail. At 4 months it went horribly wrong. Got a bit better (down 1-2 wakings) and then worse at 8 month and then back down to 1-2 wakings and then at 10 months she FINALLY slept through. This coincided with us moving her into her own room and also her learning to crawl. She now does about 11/11.5 hours :-) No adivce really, if it's still going on post weaning (so after six months for most of us) then maybe try stretching out time between feeds at night to break any habit that could have formed, but she may actually still be hungry so you'll have to use your judgement. The 4 month sleep regression is totally miserable and you have my utter sympathy.

cockle84 Sun 31-Jul-11 12:00:03

Ok thanks, will just have to see how it goes. I think at the moment it is hunger, maybe a growth spurt! I've just started giving her more formula rather than breastmilk because my supply is dwindling by the day so will see if that makes a difference.
I've read that it's a lot to do with whether your baby can self settle. She cannot!!! confused

Loobyloo1902 Sun 31-Jul-11 12:32:03

Cockle I feel your pain, we're at exactly the same stage.

<reaches for gin on the cornflakes to steady my nerves>

matana Sun 31-Jul-11 13:38:23

Sorry cockle, but even good self settlers can have a torrid time at 4 months (and 8 etc). DS is fanastic until he hits one of these phases. I always passes - eventually! I seem to remember the 4 month one was over within a week and didn't realy have much impact as he wasn't yet sleeping through at that age anyway. The current one seems to have been going on forever....

Zimm Sun 31-Jul-11 20:34:22

Cockle - it is very unlikely your breastmilk is truly dwindling at 4 months - your baby is probably just very hungry due to growth and making it seem that way. Supply issues at 4 months are almost unheard of. It might be worth posting in breeast and bottle feeding for some expert help if you are ken to continue BF - your choice of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now