Talk

Advanced search

9 weeks still waking every 2.5 hours

(6 Posts)
Justtrying Fri 29-Jul-11 08:41:03

Am I expecting too much that my DD might start sleeping longer than 2.5 hours at a time at night.6
She's ff and hardly sleeps in the day, perhaps naps of 40mins-1hr max. She did sleep 9-4 the night before last but this seems to be a one off. Yesterday she woke at 4, napped 6-7 then was awake until 7pm napped til 8, Settled at 9 woke at 11.30 fed, slept 12.15-2 fed only took 2ozs slept 2.30-5 fed, slept 5.45-7.30 now feeding again.
I do generally have a bedtime routine of bath, fed, cot then story which generally works but i'd just love a decent block of sleep. DD has about 28-30oz of formula a day should i try just offering water at 2am, as she never takes much milk then.
Sorry if thats all a ramble but the lack of sleep is getting to me.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 08:47:13

Unfortunately I think you are asking to much sorry. Nine weeks is still so tiny, she's spent 9 months tucked up inside you and needs your comfort and obviously feeding.

One thing is for sure, she will get bigger in time and sleep longer.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 09:05:40

Have thought a bit more about your post and think that the lack of daytime naps may be the answer. if you could get her to sleep more in the day she may sleep better at night as the waking could be from being overtired.

Have a read of this as it may help.

Please don't offer her water either, all she needs at this age is milk and love.

Booboostoo Fri 29-Jul-11 09:25:54

At 8 weeks my DD is pretty much the same. On some odd nights she manages 4 hours in a row, but mainly needs feeding every 2 hours (by the time she feeds, burps and settles this doesn;t leave much time for sleeping for me!!!).

I am totally exhausted as I have to run around doing things every minute she is asleep, but I am hoping it will get better by 3 months old.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 13:06:39

Booboostoo just wondering if you have tried DD in a sling in the day? She may sleep for longer if she is on you and you would be free to get some things done, although I seriously recommend sleeping when she does obviously. Online shopping, cooking in the slow cooker or takeaways anything to help you get through the sleep deprivation.

Booboostoo Sat 30-Jul-11 11:18:07

Thanks JJJ. She quite likes her sling, but it overheats her a bit (we're in the south of France and temperatures are in the 90s plus the body heat from the sling can get too much), so there is a limit to how long I can use it for! Also, I suspect the heat makes her more thirsty and she needs to bf more. I am hoping things will get better in a month's time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now