Talk

Advanced search

Can she still be sleep regressing or do I need to sleep train?

(7 Posts)
redelephant Mon 25-Jul-11 08:17:53

My DD is almost 24 weeks (19 weeks adjusted age). She is currently going through a sleep regression and has been for a good month now. Prior to that she was doing quite well and either sleeping through or just waking for one feed. I have posted on this before and received some good advice and was reassured by the fact that it was just a phase.

The reason I am posting again is that she seems to have a pattern now and I am starting to doubt if this is a regression or is it something I am doing (or not doing). I think I am just very tired!

Basically she seems to wake every couple of hours. Usually just to be re settled as she often drops straight back to sleep as soon as I pick her up. This is a usual night:

Asleep by 7.30/8.00

Between this time and 12 I usually have to re settle her three times. This involves picking her up breifly to soothe her or often just turning her back onto her side and she drops back to sleep.

Between 12 and 4 she will wake 2 or 3 times.

After 4/4.30 and up to 7am when we get up she will not stay settled at all. She will stay asleep anything from a couple of mins to 20 minutes (or half an hour if i am lucky). Much like the early part of the night I am often just turning her back onto her side or giving her a cuddle.

I have done some sleep training for her naps (pupd) which was successful. She can self settle sometimes.

My question to anyone who may know more about this than me or has experienced this: Is this a self settling thing or is this sleep regression?

I am so tired and run down now. I realise there are probably no difinitive answers but if anyone has any advice that would be great!

DialMforMummy Tue 26-Jul-11 07:28:29

I'd keep on sleep training naps.
I might also suggest that if you pick her up every time she wakes at night, you may be encouraging her. Maybe come in, rub her tummy, a few reassuring words and then leave. She will cry for a bit and it might take a few nights but it works.

seeker Tue 26-Jul-11 07:41:16

She's only 19 weeks old- I homesty don't think there'a anyone who recommends sleep training for anyone that little. Is it possible she's hungry? have you tried giving her some more milk when she wakes the first time?

DialMforMummy Tue 26-Jul-11 08:10:05

OP Seeker and I have disagreed before on this subject, so you WILL get conflicting advice from us!
I must admit to be confused about the 19 wks/ 24 wks bit, as in I know what it is about but I don't know how it affects the children.
If she is 24 weeks, then I think it is ok. But even at 19 weeks, waking up as often as she does can be helped a little bit, certainly by a bit of sleep training at nap time.

seeker Tue 26-Jul-11 10:08:23

Didn't, notice it was you, DialM! Shall we agree not to post on this sort of thread- it'll save everyone time as we just cancel each other out!

btw - the "corrected" thing suggests that Redelephant's baby was early and is actually 19 weeks, despite having been born for 24 weeks.

DialMforMummy Tue 26-Jul-11 11:34:42

Well, I don't know, I think it's quite healthy to disagree sometimes and then OP can make her/his own mind up. I believe there is more than one way "to get it right".

redelephant Wed 27-Jul-11 11:11:32

I think you both have good points and thanks for posting.. smile

Yes she was 5 weeks early and I never know whether to adjust her age when considering things like sleep training etc. The Pick Up/Put Down worked really well for her naps but I am not keen on leaving her to cry (for any length of time - DialM I might try your idea and just wait a few minutes to see if she goes back to sleep)

In fact last night I was able to soothe her a bit and put her back on her side without picking her up a couple of times so going to keep on this track.

She generally isnt hungry- although I do feed her on one or two of the wake ups (when she seems more cranky and awake rather than sleepy)

Thanks again grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now