Talk

Advanced search

Waking after 45 min sleep cycle in the day.

(9 Posts)
Maisieskates Thu 21-Jul-11 14:18:17

DD is 3.5 months and sleeping really well at night. She goes down in her cot at 7pm, dream feed at 11pm and feeds again between 6-7am. To date her daytime sleeps have generally involved 3 x 45-60mins in the buggy or cot. For about the past month she's done all her morning naps in the cot - I put her down awake. 90% of the time I put her in her cot for her lunchtime nap, she will get herself to sleep but generally wakes after 45mins (once, on Saturday she slept for 2 hours). I comfort her and she will often either fall asleep again in the cot or on my shoulder so I know she's not hungry or got a dirty nappy. I think she needs to sleep longer than 45mins - the day she slept 2 hours she skipped her afternoon nap and was really alert and happy the dhole afternoon - but am not sure how to get her to get into the next sleep cycle. Any suggestions?

Maisieskates Thu 21-Jul-11 14:40:06

Sorry, should say I think she wants to sleep longer than 45mins rather than me needing/ wanting her to!

Lozario Thu 21-Jul-11 14:40:17

Watching with interest - my DD is the same age and exactly the same - good at night and only sleeps for one sleep cycle at a time during the day.

FWIW, my DS was the same - only half an hour at a time, but once he started moving more and weaning (so around 5-6 months) he started sleeping longer for his first sleep and from about 7 months onwards he slept for a good hour and a half in the morning and half an hour in the arvo, so I'm hoping it will just sort of happen for DD too!

Good work with helping her to settle herself - I think the problems can really start if they can't resettle at ALL - eg waking every 45 mins overnight too. Sounds like you're doing really well!

WorrisomeHeart Thu 21-Jul-11 14:48:28

My DS was the same but now he's 8.5 mths and is moving and eating solids he's having two naps of at least an hour long. Unfortunately I think some babies are just catnappers initially and you have to wait for them to lengthen of their own accord. Having said that, I think trying to resettle her is a good idea, gotta be worth a shot!

ElaYar Fri 22-Jul-11 08:48:16

I have exactly the same problem - my daughter ( 3 mths old now ) has been following a eat-play-sleep cycles of about 3 hrs for the last couple of weeks but she never naps for longer than 45 mins ( so quite often it is eat-play-sleep-play again ). I am wondering whether I have to help her somehow to move to 2-3 longer naps or is it going to come naturally?

CountBapula Fri 22-Jul-11 09:33:24

My DS was the same at that age - he was having 4-5 shortish naps a day, though would sometimes randomly throw in a long nap when we were least expecting it, just to confuse us smile

As a previous poster said, some kids just catnap at that age and there isn't a lot you can do about it. I drove myself nuts trying to extend DS's naps with limited success (my finest moment was probably lying on the floor next to his moses basket so he couldn't see me and patting him when he stirred between sleep cycles - only worked a couple of times). If you manage to resettle DD, that's great, but don't stress about it unduly.

If you can get hold of the Weissbluth book (some libraries have it) it's worth a look - he did a seven-year study into babies' naps. The emergence of fewer, longer naps happens naturally as a biological process - not so much to do with movement or solids, it's a developmental thing I think. The morning nap is the first to emerge, and Weissbluth says you often start to see a longer morning nap around four months - so not long to wait.

FWIW my DS has always been a couple of months behind sleepwise, and he started doing a longer morning nap around six months, with 45 mins at lunchtime and a 5-10 min doze late afternoon. Then around 9 months the lunchtime nap started to extend, and he's just dropped the late afternoon one and has two naps of 1-2 hours.

The other thing to mention is that as they get older they can stay awake for longer. When he was three months old DS could only manage an hour and a half awake before he'd get overtired and grumpy. Now, at 10 months, he goes 2-3 hours between naps so he doesn't need so many. Much better than having to wrestle him to sleep 5 times a day!

HTH.

LittleMilla Fri 22-Jul-11 09:48:06

CountBapula thank you so much for your post, it's really helped me as my 11 w/o DS is doing EXACTLY the same as OP's. It's helpful to know that I am know the only bonkers person that tries to extend his sleeps with rediculous things - I have blisters from pounding the streets! I am now beginning to chill a bit, just trying to make sure he sleeps when tired and is able to stay asleep if he wants to.

DS can also only manage about 1.5 hours awake.

Oh, and he can sleep for a 6 hour stretch at night sometimes. So I know the monkey is capable of stitching his sleep together!

CountBapula Fri 22-Jul-11 09:54:20

Glad it helped. Enjoy the six-hour stretches - we don't get many of those even now hmm grin

Fuzzled Fri 22-Jul-11 10:08:38

Try the No Cry Nap Solution.
Worked wonders for my DS who now naps for 1.5-2 hours (barring odd bits and pieces due to teeth/colds etc)
Basic principle is that they have a light sleep bit at about 45mins and wake and can't resettle themselves.
Try going in quietly at about 35-40 minutes and sitting quietly then "sssshhh" then at the first sign of movement/waking.
Takes a little bit of time to get them into it, but is worth it in the long run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now