Talk

Advanced search

Crawling - sleeping gone to pot!

(4 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Wed 20-Jul-11 13:33:45

10 month dd has discovered the delights of crawling. At first she was exhausted and regularly napped for 1.5 hrs (which is long for her) and only woke during the night maybe twice a week.

This week she's back to 40 min naps and wide awake for at least 2 hours in the middle of the night

Is this just a blip till she gets over the excitement of it all? Freinds told me that sleep gets better oncethey can crawl. Any recommendations? Dh is hinting at a bit of cc this weekend if she carries on.....

hankins Wed 20-Jul-11 14:28:29

Hello. When my DS started to crawl (or went through any developmental spurt), he would wake up loads more in the night, and be difficult to settle. It always calms down after a week or two - it's like their brain is working through this new skill while they sleep. His sleep is also massively affected by ilness/teething - could your DD be coming down with something? To be honest, I have a tendency to just tell myself it will get better, and ride the storm. Of course, you may want to completely ignore me, because I have just started a thread on how my 18MO DS won't go to sleep - I'm perhaps not the best person to dish out advice! Hope she starts to sleep better soon though x

matana Wed 20-Jul-11 16:07:55

I sympathise. My 8.5 month DS is trying to crawl and will attempt it at any opportunity, including the middle of the night. I've had to rescue him several times when he's got his legs stuck between the cot bars and has ended up shrieking the house down. This is happening at a time when he's also becoming more vocal and communicative so wakes up frequently just to have a natter, is teething and has begun to show some signs of mild separation anxiety. As with all these developmental things, it will pass!

Angel786 Fri 22-Jul-11 22:46:58

My 7 month old just figured out how to shuffle, roll over, do a 180 and almost crawl and we had two weeks of minimal sleep as she manoeuvred at night. Almost calmed down now as she's more in control of what she can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now