Talk

Advanced search

toddler mums, How much sleep last night?

(19 Posts)
Ineedmetime Tue 19-Jul-11 13:24:54

Just being nosey really, was wondering how other mums and toddlers were sleeping?( how many hours)
I think we got 5 hours last night, dd was crying a lot. I think she may have separation anxiety.???

Iggly Tue 19-Jul-11 18:52:45

How old? ds is 22 months nearly and generally sleeps through. Took a long time to get here though - only in the last month or two when I stopped feeding at night has he done it regularly.

spout Tue 19-Jul-11 18:57:09

DS is 2.1 and wakes every two hrs or so. Goes off again quickly but it's the broken sleep that's still killing me. prob 8-9 hrs, then a 2 hr nap today.

We think it's separation anxiety too sad Ineed you must be shattered after just 5 hrs. Is that usual?

MrsKarbonara Tue 19-Jul-11 18:58:26

4.5 hours. Tired....

Ineedmetime Tue 19-Jul-11 20:16:02

DD is 2yrs 8 mnths. some nights she sleeps really well, other nights she cries three or four times

Thanks for your replies

Zoidberg Tue 19-Jul-11 20:20:45

6 and a half for me, between 10ish and 5something. DD probably did 9 and a half, with 2 wake ups that were at least brief. But overall length of night shorter than recently where 10-10.5 is norm, even 11 occasionally.

Most days still having a nap of an hour / hour and a half, but dropping it once a week or more so the end is nigh.

Sleep has always been regularly broken. A 5-10 min wake up (and bring to my bed, bf) a couple of times in the night is great (well, you know what I mean), it's when she's awake for an hour in the night I go mad from sleeplessness. DD is 2.3.

aStarInStrangeways Tue 19-Jul-11 20:22:59

Um, I think about 6hrs? Can't really remember - DS climbed into our bed at 2am, I went and got into his bed, then he got back in there with me at about 5.30am...

He is 2.10. I am 38 weeks pregnant with DC2, so we think he's experiencing some pre-baby fear - usually he's great at sleeping through but he's been getting in our bed every night for a few weeks now.

He was fairly vile with tiredness today and I wasn't much better blush Still, he was snoring away happily by 7pm so fingers crossed for a better night tonight.

Indith Tue 19-Jul-11 20:24:23

My dd is 2 and half. We get the crying 3 or 4 times a night, often more. I don't think we are into double digits yet on the number of times she has slept through! Just recently she did a couple of weeks of sleeping much better though, either sleeping through or just waking once or twice but then we've all been ill. Last night I was up and soothing either her or her brother every 5 mins or so.

Zoidberg Tue 19-Jul-11 20:28:26

This thread is making me think of HV who rang to give me advice after I returned the 2 year old development questionnaire having ticked the No not sleeping through the night box. I wish I'd said to her, I don't know why you expect that, I don't know any 2 year olds sleeping through. I have heard of them, of course, but there are still so very many who don't that it seems like it's not necessarily what's to be expected.

Indith Tue 19-Jul-11 20:31:06

Zoidberg I know, what is it with HV and sleep? I asked mine for some advice a while ago when dd was being so, so much worse than she is now and I couldn't function. Her advice involved leaving her to scream until the was sick, leaving her a bit longer, cleaning her up without speaking ot her and leaving her to scream a bit more. She also tells this to people with babies well under a year old. The woman ought to be shot.

Sirzy Tue 19-Jul-11 20:32:01

DS is 20 months. Last night he slept from 6.30 - 11 then 12 til 7. Its pretty normal for him to spend a few hours a night playing!

Zoidberg Tue 19-Jul-11 20:41:00

Oh dear Indith, that's harsh. Mine said their advice is not to pick them up but I didn't engage with that by asking, and what do we do if she cries a lot (and DD is sick after about 2 mins of crying when she's upset in a certain way). I said breezily, it's not a problem, she's not suffering in the day.

supadupapupascupa Tue 19-Jul-11 20:45:28

DS 1.11 sleeps from about 8:30pm to about 7am on average and has done since he was about 1. He is still in a cot which i think helps.
He also naps for 2 to 3 hours in an afternoon.

He never sleeps with us and self settles.

I hope my bump is going to be as good a sleeper, surely I can't be that lucky????

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:47:27

my daughter is is 2.7 and she has been going down between seven and eight pm most nights and sleeps to about seven the next morning, however most nights she wakes up at about 2am and gets into bed with my husband and I and we are too lazy to mover her back! She doesn't wake up properly though and doesn't cry, just hops in.

bebejones Tue 19-Jul-11 20:57:44

I have a usually good sleeper. DD is 2.11 & last night she slept from 7.30pm-8.10am. No waking. But she doesn't nap during the day & I think she is going through a growth spurt coz she is demanding food all the time and being a right handful during the day!

When she has wakeful nights she is usually quite good about settling once reassured. She went through an awful stage a few months back of night terrors, so horrid to witness sad She is also one of those who will make herself sick screaming if left so I just don't let it get to that stage it's far more disruptive to everyone's night! Thankfully she never gets out of bed when she wakes, even in the morning she doesn't get out until I go into her.

Mumbrane Tue 19-Jul-11 20:59:01

My 2 yr old is a great sleeper and sleeps 7pm-7am almost every night (sometimes wakes at 6am). However, my older child was still waking twice in the night and was up with the lark at that age.

TheRealMBJ Tue 19-Jul-11 21:11:02

DS 19 mo and not a good sleeper (although this thread is making me feel so much better grin). Goes down with a bit of a struggle (no crying but I have to sit with him for about 15-20mins) at around seven to seven-thirty. Wakes probably once around 10pm and again some time after midnight, when he comes into our bed. He is up and ready for the day at around five am. He has about 1.5hrs sleep during the day, either as a morning or afternoon nap.

So, that usually gives me about six broken hours of sleep.

Indith Tue 19-Jul-11 21:12:28

I should say my first was one of those sleeping types. From 6 months old he went to bed around 6pm, slept until 8am or so and napped a lot in the day too! We had a few hiccups when we moved house twice in a row and then again with extremely bad night terrors around age 2 when his sister was born but he is still a sleeper at 4 and a half (well, apart from growing pains and the odd scary dream). Not quite sure what I've done to his sister!

kingbeat23 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:28:35

I feel so sorry for all of you that have had rubbish advice from your HVs. Mine has told me that if DD gets in to my bed and I manage to stay awake to put her back into her own, then brilliant. If not, not to stress and that I should put her back when/if I can be arsed do wake up.

DD is currently rolling about on the sofa whilst I studiously ignore her and waiting for her to be slightly more tired than she actually is. She will go down at 9.30 then come to me around 4 and wake at 8, unless it is a nursery/work day and then it is 6.30/7 wake up.

Since she told me that I've chilled out somewhat, but, I am a single mum to an only child so don't know it that makes a difference! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now