Talk

Advanced search

Hello! newbie here, struggling with 14month old to get to sleep, wont be nursed to sleep anymore! Any advice appreciated.

(11 Posts)
treehuggermum Mon 18-Jul-11 19:36:47

Hi all! I'm new to here and wondered if any of you could help me. My adorable 14month old little girl has been fed to sleep up until recently she wont anymore, she gets up after her feed hyper! Her bedtime routine is sorted, we put her to sleep after bath, singing, books etc when she's tired. She also refuses to be rocked to sleep, and i've tried cuddling her to sleep (we share a bed) but she just giggles and wrestles with me! She gets upset because she is so tired but cant get to sleep. She then bites and laughs each time i remove her, getting more hyper. If i try to leave her she just follows me or plays. I dont want to leave her alone in the room as there are too many risks. It's taking hours to get her to sleep and it's so tiring for me and frustrating for her sad Would anyone be kind enough to offer some advice? Thanks in advance

headfairy Mon 18-Jul-11 19:39:37

I think you being there is what's stopping her from sleeping. What risks do you think there are in a room if she's left on her own? Has she ever slept in a cot or some kind of bed she can't climb out of?

nethunsreject Mon 18-Jul-11 19:40:31

Aye, maybe baby proof the room, put matress on floor.

How is she once asleep?

nethunsreject Mon 18-Jul-11 19:41:33

oh and btw, my 14mth old still nursing to sleep, so this wou;ld be my worst ngihtmare. grin

nethunsreject Mon 18-Jul-11 19:42:12

and welcome! grin

treehuggermum Mon 18-Jul-11 21:52:06

Yes the mattress is on the floor. I'm pretty sure she'd scream and cry after a while if i left her and i'm not into that. Thanks for your advice tho x

treehuggermum Mon 18-Jul-11 21:56:33

Headfairy she has only slept in a travel cot and was ok til she woke up for a feed a few hours later. She usually sleeps ok, wakes up every few hours or so for a feed. We love co sleeping so dont want to put her in cot yet.

nethunsreject Mon 18-Jul-11 21:58:19

Could she be uncomfy and then getting over tired? Teething/growth spurt?

(I love co sleeping too, btw)

treehuggermum Mon 18-Jul-11 23:54:30

She has been teething and has had colds on and off. She doesnt seem in pain when she's wrestling and biting me and giggling all over the bed!

mmcous Tue 19-Jul-11 22:23:33

I'm still nursing and cosleeping with the bed on the floor as well. DD is 15 months old. We've been having the exact same problem, which is why I'm here. She screams bloody murder if DP tries to put her down after I've fed on both sides to no avail. The one thing that works is putting her on my back in a sling. I then go around the house taking care of chores that I can do while she's on my back. It's not ideal, but eventually she drops off and then I can feed her if she stirs when I put her in bed.

I'd still be grateful for any other advice, though!!!

treehuggermum Wed 20-Jul-11 23:02:01

Ah yes sounds exactly like my girl. Sometimes i do just let dp take her out in sling despite her crying if she's been biting for ages and i'm just upset and knackered. One thing worked yesterday, i dropped her 2 naps to one, had a lovely day of activities and she went to sleep feeding last night and only woke up once for a feed! Today was different tho as we didnt go out all day cos of weather and she fell asleep early again having 2 naps. Bedtime routine messy again and lots of biting sad keep in touch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now