Talk

Advanced search

14 week old erratic nightime routine

(12 Posts)
ails81 Mon 18-Jul-11 10:09:49

Hello all
My little boy is 14 weeks old. He has always been a good sleeper since birth, waking a couple of times a night for a feed and going straight back off. he is generally a very good boy and chilled out and im very lucky. im happy to get up in the night as I know he is only little and might still need a feed but its all got a bit erratic recently!

I started dreamfeeding about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Prior to this he feeds every 3 hours usually about 7am/10/1/4/7. But this depends on when he wakes up which I will go onto. He is now bottle fed and takes about 6oz during the day and 5oz at his dreamfeed and during night.

I am doing the EASY routine and this is basically as below. This isnt set in stone but basically he will feed, be awake for 45-75 minutes and then will nap for about 1.5-2hrs. he goes down for his naps fine with his dummy. At night he goes down usually fine, often without his dummy depends how he feels! And then after his dreamfeed and nightfeeds he doesnt have his dummy to fall asleep.
E - 7am (ish - can be 6am or 8am)
A
S - 815-945

E- 10am
A
S - 1115-1245

E- 1pm
A
S - 215-345

E- 4pm
A
S - 515-630

E - 7pm
S - 730pm

Dreamfeed 1030pm

Night as per rest of post below!

When I started dreamfeeding he would wake after that at between 3 and 4am and then again between 6 and 7am. I could cope with that and hoped in time he would drop that 3am feed. However we went on holiday about 2 weeks ago and as we tended to be out later his last feed was still about 1030 altho not always technically a dreamfeed. Then 4 out of the 5 nights he slept right through from 1030-6am! So obviously I was over the moon and hoped he would keep it up when we got home but no!

When we first got home he was back to waking about 4am for a feed. He then had a few nights of waking up a few times in the night and I assumed this was a growth spurt as it was about 12 weeks and he did get visibly bigger very quickly. However for the last few days he has continued to wake up after his dreamfeed about 130/2am. I had been feeding him and then he was waking again between 4/430 feeding again and then awake about 7ish. But for the last 2 nights I thought I would check if he was actually hungry so when he woke at 140am I put his dummy in, he fell asleep again till 315am dummy in again then till 445am dummy in again then till 6am. He did almost the same thing last night. And consequently I am knackered from only having 60min naps all night!!

Last 2 nights, first he woke only at 330am fed and woke again at 630 which was fine. But then last night woke again at 140am! Gave his dummy and he fell asleep till 4am when he fed then woke again at 7am.

So why is he waking at 140am! Im sure he isnt hungry. He doesnt cry but whines and its the sort of whining that wont stop until you go in, I have tried leaving him but he doesnt stop usually.

Any ideas what im doing wrong? ps - im a first time mum!

Thanks for any help! smile

PukeyRag Tue 19-Jul-11 10:44:05

Have you actually tried feeding him when he wakes up?

ails81 Thu 21-Jul-11 08:52:18

Hi, I do feed him when he wakes at 330/4 but havent been at 2am as he never used to wake at this time so dont understand why he would suddenly start needing an extra feed? If I fed him at 2am as well he would be having 40oz in 24 hours, isnt this a bit much?

I missed out his dreamfeed last night just to see and he woke at midnight instead was fed and then woke again at 4am and was fed. So I might try feeding him if he wakes at 2am and see if that gets him through. Im just so confused I dont know if im coming or going! confused

johnnycomelurky Thu 21-Jul-11 09:01:13

I don't really have anything to add but just wanted to say that my son's sleep went completely haywire at 14 weeks. He was just starting to sleep for most the night then all of a sudden it was hourly wakings! It was definitely a growth spurt at the start but not sure why it continuef TBH the unsettled period lasted a month but our "good" nights are where you're at now smile. They are going through huge developmental changes at that age, not just growth and apparently this can disrupt sleep. I hope it gets better for you soon.

PukeyRag Thu 21-Jul-11 14:03:44

johnny is right, they are going through huge changes and, a baby so young will change their sleeping patterns often.

Have you checked every possible reason your DS could be waking?
Health
Temperature
Comfort
Growth/development
etc
?

Are you co-sleeping?

I've given my DD a dreamfeed twice before and both times she's woken up sooner than she normally does! Besides that, every time she wakes I feed her, because that seems to be what she wants. At this age, just let your baby lead you, they are not aware that they're meant to have feeds at certain times, or that waking a couple of times more than they 'should be' is strange. They do what they want, when they want so just go with it.

Lozario Thu 21-Jul-11 14:36:14

My DC2 is 16 weeks and going through a growth spurt - DC1 was the same around this time I think. I always just feed back to sleep at night as she settles back no fuss afterwards so she must have been hungry, and she only wakes once or twice a night so I don't think it's a sleep association at this young age.

ails81 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:35:07

Thanks everyone. He is sleeping in his own room in his cot and has been happy in there since he was about 9 weeks as he hated his basket and his cot doesnt fit in our room.
Maybe it is to do with development, as he has changed so much in the last 2 weeks, started rolling, chuckling, grabbing anything and putting it in his mouth. So maybe he is just hungry for more! I will just feed him I think when he wakes as he just drinks it super fast and im back in bed in 10mins, he doesnt need his dummy or anything just goes straight back to sleep. so im lucky that way! I guess I was just worried that he would start to think nighttime is daytime if he is feeding that much. But he is still eating same amount and times during day so I dont think thats the issue.
Will try tonight and see what happens! I will let you know smile

lovesicecream Thu 21-Jul-11 23:02:22

Mine started feeding more at about the same age, we tried dreamfeeding but it didn't make any difference he would still wake up two hours later for more, he's now 4 months and back to one bottle in the night

ails81 Fri 22-Jul-11 19:06:41

well last night was better, dreamfeed at 1030 then he woke up at 245am fed and back in bed in 15mins, guzzled 5oz and then woke up at 6am again. So much better. Hopefully this is him getting back into a routine of sorts so at least I know what to expect! Now to work on dummy weaning! wink

ails81 Sat 23-Jul-11 09:31:39

And last night even better smile Woke at 315am fed and back in bed in 15mins then woke at 6am again. Much happier mummy smile

lovesicecream Sat 23-Jul-11 10:41:15

That's good!

ails81 Mon 25-Jul-11 15:31:41

Hmmmm back to 130am wake up again last night although wasnt fed till 330am. Im hoping he was just a bit confused as we upped to 7oz yesterday as he was draining 6oz and he kind of put himself onto a 4hr feeding routine instead yesterday. Heres seeing what happens tonight hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now