Talk

Advanced search

8 mth old wakes lots at night

(6 Posts)
Pseudocrem Fri 15-Jul-11 07:20:38

My 8 mth old wakes lots at night. We moved from co-sleeping to cot in her own room about a month ago - no problems with that. Developmentally she has just gone through a big spurt, pulling herself up and cruising, and she has recently cut her first teeth. So lots going on. We have a bedtime routine, and she goes down really quickly and easily, but she wakes up maybe 5 times in the night. All she needs is reassurance, and she goes straight back to sleep, but at this stage I would like her to be sleeping through. We don't go in to her unless its proper crying, she often whimpers but doesn't wake up. What can I do? All of the sleep gurus seem to be geared towards getting a baby to sleep initially. CIO for e.g. won't work because she goes straight back to sleep once reassured.

SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Fri 15-Jul-11 08:49:20

Hi Pseudocrem
I could have written your post! My 8MO DS sounds very similar to your DD. Since about 5.5 - 6 months he's had so much going on developmentally; bottom teeth, crawling, sitting up, standing up, cruising, now a top tooth and trying to walk. Without fail he will wake up 30 mins - hr after he's gone to sleep (settles himself in the cot quite well, sometimes a bit of PU'PD needed) Then its every 2 hours throughout the night. We've been co-sleeping so i can get some sleep but even that isn't working now as DS is too fidgety. This weekend I'm going to attempt the PU'PD technique for his night wakings rather than giving up and taking him into bed with me. Not looking forward to it as i know i'll be shattered but i'm hoping that if i persevere and teach him he's not getting out of the cot that when he's mastered his new skills he'll have the foundation to start sleeping better IYSWIM. (Really hope it's soon as I start work in a week confused)
Not really any advice to offer, just letting you know you're not alone. If you google "The Wonder Weeks" it details some of the big development leaps babies go through, and i think there's a big one around this age (that's why a lot of posts on here seem to detail a 9 month sleep regression)
Sorry for the long post grin

TheresAHuppoInMyHouse Fri 15-Jul-11 10:48:47

Mine is the same at 8 months, she settles nicely at night but wakes frequently and when she cries I resettle her with a bit of hand-holding and relacing the dummy. She hasn't been fed overnight for ages now - I thought that would stop her from waking but oh no!

She has started being more difficult to resettle - sometimes it takes half an hour of wriggling, handholding and dummy-bunging-in. DP wants to try CC this weekend, for the night wakings, but like you OP, I'm not sure it will work, as what gets her back to sleep is a bit of comfort, rather than the opposite.

I thought they would naturally start sleeping better by now.

SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Fri 15-Jul-11 12:48:38

I used to think that too Huppo, but now I've resigned myself to the fact that he's probably not going to sleep through until he's ready which i think will be a bit older yet as at the moment he's still not brilliant at switching off.

Maybe on his first birthday?? grin

Pseudocrem Fri 15-Jul-11 18:57:43

Oh dear! I was hoping to come back to a thread with a magic solution that I could start using tonight grin
SDGrumpybum, the PUPD might work more easily than you think. I was feeding her to sleep when she woke up, but for the past 3 nights DH has gone into her instead and she resettled quickly and easily. I am quite devastated that dropping the night feeds doesn't have an effect though Huppo.
Sigh.... 1st birthday you reckon?

SootySweepandSue Fri 15-Jul-11 19:04:48

Very similar happened to my DD. Lasted about 3-4 weeks and was definitely due to development burst. You could try the early evening exhaustion technique - going out, lots of rough & tumble before bed?

Fingers crossed normal service resumes shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now