Talk

Advanced search

Dummy. More f*cking trouble that it's worth

(6 Posts)
Cbell Wed 13-Jul-11 19:42:33

So about two months ago we began experiencing serious sleep problems with my DD (6mo) and we introduced a dummy. At first this seemed great. It meant that we could pop her into her cot and she would generally drift off to sleep.

Now. Oh hell. She seems to drop it every 40 mins - 1 hour which wakes her and of course us. We had a crazed idea we could get it off her one evening with the PUPD technique. It ended in disaster....our whole plan was flawed.

Anyone go any advice? Should we try and get rid of it now (this would involved tears wouldn't it?) or do we wait?

Just tell me what to do. I am exhausted

Timeoutofmind Wed 13-Jul-11 20:35:47

We had the same problem with our DD but we let her practice taking the dummy out and putting it back in, and over the past week or so her sleep has been loads better cos she puts in back in herself (wakes once or twice in the night when she can't find it). She is now 6.5mo.

If I were you I would also try gently removing the Dummy when your DD has fallen asleep to try and get her used to sleeping without it in.

SarahScot Wed 13-Jul-11 21:01:01

We had the same problem too when DS was little. I was so desperate I resorted to putting one dummy in his mouth, one in each of his pudgy wee hands and 5 or 6 more in a semi-circle around his head. grin

naturalbaby Thu 14-Jul-11 14:20:29

is she 6 months now or was she when you introduced it 2months ago? my baby is 5 1/2months and had one since the early days so i'm wondering when to try and get rid of it soon. i have 2 older boys and have finally got rid of theirs together (3yrs and 23months). with ds2 i was getting up at least once a night till 12months old to give it back but that was combined with him getting up and not lying down again. i put his dummy on a clip - health visitor recommended it for ds1 but i never got round to doing it but it helped with ds2.

i did stop the dummy when he was around 6 or 7months i think, it took a week but then the next week i got desperate and exhausted again when he wasn't settling to sleep and gave it back for instant peace and quiet. i think the benefits of them self settling quickly mean i'll stick with it again but try and get rid of it around 12months.

sorry if that's all a bit confusing between writing about 3 different kids!

MrsHoolie Thu 14-Jul-11 14:44:58

I got rid of DS's dummy at 5 months. We did cold turkey as I was sick of doing the dummy run all night. I thought I might as well do it as I was up all bloody night anyway!
I bought a lovely snuggly cow thing to replace it and he cuddles up to that now.
It was no way near as bad as I thought it would be and he started sleeping a lot better.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 14-Jul-11 14:46:53

I did exactly what SarahScot did. Think we onced saftey pinned a dummy to Dss babygrow (no doubt I would be in prison for that now1).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now