Talk

Advanced search

Toddler roaming the house in the wee hours - is a stair gate my best/only option?

(4 Posts)
3become4 Wed 13-Jul-11 13:25:10

DD moved into her big bed a few weeks ago and has settled well but recently has started getting up and roaming the house before waking us up. This morning she presented me with a glass of water she had carried all the way upstairs! Thank god she hadn't slipped and broken it as I dread to think how seriously she could have hurt herself. So clearly I need to do something. Is a stair gate on her bedroom door the best solution? I don't really want to lock her in (and she won't be grateful) but can't think of any better options. We've also got her a gro clock thing but not sure how successful that is going to prove.

Oh god yes, I can't imagine not having a stairgate on my toddler's door - I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink at night otherwise.

It's not like locking her in with a thick wooden door. Just think of all the accidents that could happen while she's wandering around unsupervised; you can't trust them to just be obedient at that age. I bet you were so shocked though - sympathies and good luck!

Flisspaps Sat 16-Jul-11 19:56:39

Oh absolutely. We have one at the top of the stairs, so that if DD's upstairs she can wander around but not get/fall down the stairs. When she's in a bed rather than a cot we'll probably get one for her room as well to stop her escaping roaming in the night.

Beamur Sat 16-Jul-11 19:58:03

I had a gate on my DD's bedroom when she started in a bed. She was perfectly happy with this and used to close the gate herself to make her own personal space! She was terribly upset when we took it down..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now