Talk

Advanced search

teeth and sleep for a 14 month old

(3 Posts)
beachavendrea Tue 12-Jul-11 13:56:52

my ds is usually very good at self-settling at bedtime and during the day for two naps. recently he has been a bit unpredictable and will sometimes settle himself and sometimes need me beside the bed. he ill be quite for about 5 minutes and then start crying. usually if i sit beside the bed head down no eye contact he is okay, if i try to leave the room he cries. If i leave him to cry for a few minutes it just escalates.

i give him painkillers and bonjella on his gums before sleep but this doesn't really seem to make any difference.

I think it may be teething and will hopefully pass. Has anyone else had self-settling problems with teething?

How did you handle it and did things return to normal eventually. I am just conscious of not starting bad sleep habits!

curlyLJ Tue 12-Jul-11 14:02:35

Oh yes! I know that feeling...

We have had this on and off for a few months now. DD has just had her first molar break the gum (hooray!) and the others, I'm fairly sure, are not far behind.

Bedtimes/nights have been all over the place for a while and teething is the only thing I can put it down to. Some nights we don't have so much as a peep out of her, others we are up at stupid o'clock giving nurofen/cuddles/even milk (which she hasn't had in the night since she was 10m, but it seems to be the only way to get her back to sleep sometimes!)

I was also worried about setting up bad habits, but as I say she does seem to revert back to her normal sleep on nights where the teeth aren't bothering her, so I am trying hard to just go with the flow!!

Hope that helps...

beachavendrea Tue 12-Jul-11 18:57:45

you have described my ds exactly, sometimes he sleeps through no problems other times it's a struggle. i'm am trying to go with the flow too but am hoping there is an end in sight.

it's the settling him that drives me nuts as he needs me there but gets excited when i'm there too, it's very frustrating.

i think i felt a molar this morning but it might be wishful thinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now