Talk

Advanced search

Two children in a one bed house (well it's 2-bed but 2nd not used as bedroom!)

(7 Posts)
JamieJay Mon 11-Jul-11 16:41:47

We do actually have a small second bedroom (6ft x 9ft), which is currently used as very useful storage.

DD is 11 months old and still in our bedroom.

We’re now trying to conceive number two and I’m wondering about the potential to have both a toddler and a baby in our room. There is enough room that DD can have her cot bed (if we ever get her out of our bed!) on one side of the bedroom whilst the baby’s cot would be next to the bed.

Ideally we’d keep them both in the main bedroom with us and use the other bedroom as storage. Then when the second is old enough, we’d move into the little bedroom and they’d share the bigger bedroom with built in storage being put in the (relatively large) alcove. We couldn’t fit our bed and a baby in the little bedroom so need to stay in the bigger room for the time being.

Any views or experience or, in effect, having parents and two children in one bedroom?

(Obviously I realise that it could take a long time to conceive and if DD gets to the age where a separate room would be the best thing for her then we would sort space out somehow)

Sorry if I take a bit of time to come back to this thread smile

Oakmaiden Mon 11-Jul-11 16:46:49

I don't really understand? Why not put the children in the small bedroom when they are old enough?

I think it will be OK sharing a room, but it will get more difficult as they get older, and the baby may disturb your toddler. I really can't see why it is necessary though....

Ds (practically 7) dd (3.5) still both sleep in our room, in their own beds.

Our house is only 2 bed, the second bed in tiny and we have alot of family that live a long way away and come to stay.

We have always said that as soon as they want to we will give them their own room, but so far they don't want to.

I will so miss having a big 'family room' when they go.

PonceyMcPonce Mon 11-Jul-11 16:51:34

Surely you cannot fit a double bed in a room that is 6x 9?

JamieJay Mon 11-Jul-11 18:06:56

Wildthings thanks for your story - that sounds fab smile

Poncey believe it or not we have slept in the little bedroom before when the floor collapsed in the bigger bedroom!. The bed was about the only thing we could fit in and could only get out one side of it but it was do-able.

Oak the move DD into the little room we'd have to move a cupboard out which won't fit in the alcove in our room - longer term we are planning to have a built in cupboard in the alcove to maximise storage but can't afford it at the moment so looking for other solutions.

The most sensible thing to do would be wait to have number 2 until money is better but both DH and I are broody now grin

PonceyMcPonce Mon 11-Jul-11 18:46:34

Crikey! I cannot imagine clambering over dh in the night for a wee!

Put the kids in hammocks!grin

JamieJay Mon 11-Jul-11 18:55:25

Suppose I've got use to it.

Previous house had a long narrow bedroom and ex insisted on a kingsize bed so I had to clamber over him then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now