Talk

Advanced search

When's best to start sleep training?

(8 Posts)
HumptyDumpty1 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:49:01

Hi all,

DD is now 15 weeks and currently going through sleep regression (I think, up feeding every 1-2 hours through the night). Both me and DH want to train her to fall asleep on her own and before the regression hit she could, and she only used to wake up once.
She cries a lot more atm through tiredness I think and is generally more groggy, she also has started to scream when she's put down to sleep, even if she's fallen asleep feeding.

So my question is, do we continue to sleep train her with the pupd method? (I'm not one for cc) or put it on hold so she actually gets some sleep?

Any help would be much appreciated smile

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:48:04

Anyone?

DialMforMummy Sun 10-Jul-11 21:14:00

I am not sure I understand what you are asking....

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:22:56

Do we try to teach her to fall asleep in her cot while she's having a sleep regression and is groggy from being tired or is it the wrong time and we should wait until she is sleeping better?

I have no idea how long sleep regressions last for but I've read a few weeks

Sorry for not being clear

DialMforMummy Sun 10-Jul-11 21:27:35

I'd do it now because there is always something getting in the way anyway!
However, when I sleep trained my DC, I remember reading somewhere you should not do sleep training before the age of 6 months. Maybe it was just for CC though.

FlamingoBingo Sun 10-Jul-11 21:30:41

Personally, we've never done sleep training with any of ours and they've all turned out ok.

Moulesfrites Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:48

My understanding is that there is no point during a sleep regression as it is a developmental thing that you just have to ride out...but tbh, I think pupd is quite a gentle method as opposed to cc, so it might be ok.

In my experience (ds just gone through the regression and still not quite back on track at 24 weeks), you will do whatever it takes to ensure you get some sleep, so if I were you I would forget about trying to teach her anything just try to survive the regression without being total zombies (speaks from recent bitter experience!)

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:36:31

Thank you everyone! Helpful to know other people's experiences smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now