Talk

Advanced search

4 month old suddenly sleeping a lot in the day?

(4 Posts)
cocoachannel Tue 05-Jul-11 16:25:53

Hi everyone,

My DD is 18 weeks and all of a sudden has started napping for much longer spells. Prior to this week she had 4 x 45mins a day, then slept 7am - 7pm, with a dreamfeed at 10.30pm and a wake for feeding at 3am.

I have been expecting the dreaded 4 month regression, and her 3am wake has been for longer than normal, but the big change has been in her daytime naps which are no longer 45 mins but 1 x 45mins, then 2 x 1.5 to 2hrs.

Is this 'normal' (!) or could it be that she's got a cold or something. She has a very runny nose but I put this down to teething. She is in good spirits.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Kellamanella Sun 04-Sep-11 09:48:38

I'd love to hear peoples responses to this, as my 18 week old girl has started doing something very similar! She slept from 5.30pm-9am, waking for feeds but going straight back to sleep then she was back to sleep again at 10am for 2 hours and carried on having 2 hour naps through day.. She's been doing this for a couple of days and also has a very runny nose like yours. Before now, getting her to nap at all in the day was impossible. So strange!

cocoachannel Sun 04-Sep-11 10:47:19

Hi there!

We're now two months down the line, and it was the start of her napping shifting to having one long nap (2 hours) and one short nap (45mins).

Unfortunately it also signalled a steady regression at night, and now at six months she is waking at least three times between 7pm, and getting up later at around 8am. I've tried shortening the naps, getting her up earlier than 8am and lots and lots of other things but no joy...

Am knackered and thankful for that long daytime nap, as it gives me the opportunity to nap too once or twice a week!

Mummy1868 Sun 04-Sep-11 21:33:08

Hi there,

I have a 10 month old who sleeps from around 7pm to 6.30. She has a very short quick feed then goes back to bed for an hour. She will then have a nap at 9.30 for about 1 1/2 hours and then again the same length about 2.30.
DD would happily wake me up for a feed at 2am and 5am if I let her.
I have had to ignore her shouts - lasts about 1-2 minutes. She settles back to sleep very easily.
My husband would love me to pick her up at the first sound and feed her so he can have a wonderful uninterrupted sleep, he has kicked me several times to make me get up to her, but if I did she would try it every night and I would get no sleep.
This is my 3rd DD and each one has not suffered due to me ignoring the night feed demands, each is on the 91st or above growth percentile.
At 10 weeks they were all capable of sleeping all night without feeds - except during growth spurts.
I would suggest trying ignoring one of the night feed shouts. It should take no longer the 3 nights for her to get the message. Honestly she will be fine, you are not a bad mother.
She still needs her sleep so don't reduce the naps, she will just get grumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now