Talk

Advanced search

5am waking - any ideas?

(3 Posts)
Fuzzled Mon 04-Jul-11 15:23:42

On one hand - yippee! DS has started sleeping through the night grin
On the other hand - Argh! DS is now waking at 5am ready to start the day sad
We've tried blackout blinds, but he won't got to sleep unless he can see things confused so no clue how to get him to sleep later in the morning. It doesn't have to be much later as DH starts his morning routine (and thus I am also up!) at 6am.
Any one any ideas?

RuthChan Mon 04-Jul-11 18:40:09

If he has a blackout blind, but wants to sleep while able to see things, could you not put on a lamp or other gentle light in the same way as (I suppose) he has when he goes to sleep in the evening?
That would give the same atmosphere as in the evening, ie different from sunlight coming through the window.

How old is he?
Is he old enough for a clock that tells him when it's time to get up in the morning?

bunnyfrance Tue 05-Jul-11 10:33:42

Oh, you have my sympathies. I have an early riser too (5am) - mine is 21 months and this has been going on since last December. We've tried everything - blackout blinds, night lights, short naps, long naps, earlier bedtime, later bedtime, feeding up before bedtime, going outside before bedtime blah blah blah. The only thing I haven't had the courage to do is wake-to-sleep.

We started with the gro clock just last night - I set it for 5h20 and he slept till 5h30, but that was probably coincidence. I'm not convinced he's understood the concept of the clock at his age, but it's the only thing we have left to try.

Oh, and I'm due DC2 in 6 weeks time.....

Come back for hand-holding if needed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now