Talk

Advanced search

White noise revelation

(16 Posts)
BenRoo Sat 02-Jul-11 22:58:01

Well I don't want to celebrate just yet but...
My DS who has been relatively difficult to settle just lately went off like a dream to a few White noise tracks I've been playing on repeat!
The norm is that it'll take a few attempts to settle him and mainly by nursing him down to sleep,although I've been trying to stop that and get him to SS.
The 2nd time I put him in the cot he began to fuss and I turned on (and up quite loud) the White noise and after an acknowledgement of the noise he self settled, not heard a pip since!!!
He usually wakes a couple of times (approx an hour or so after settling) and around this time now for a feed so watch this space to see whether it is indeed a useful tool!
I'm quite excited... (and admittedly a bit tipsy)

BenRoo Sat 02-Jul-11 23:01:58

Of course I've checked him like...5 times wink

inatrance Sun 03-Jul-11 00:41:10

White noise is magic! grin I got an app for my iPhone and it is brilliant. Doesn't work every time but often works when ds is overtired or grumpy.

TragicallyHip Sun 03-Jul-11 00:42:36

Dh still has the fan on for white noise. He is 40 next year... grin

BenRoo Sun 03-Jul-11 06:11:43

Well he went 6 hours without a peep from him grin
Sent me and DH off a treat as well (as could hear it through the monitor)
Let's see whether it works for nap times today?!?

sh77 Sun 03-Jul-11 12:05:00

It works like magic! We use it in the car when DS starts to howl when put in his seat. Amazing.

I haven't tried it whilst putting him to sleep in his cot as it wasn't working so well when he was 8 weeks. Will have to resurrect.

BenRoo Sun 03-Jul-11 18:58:01

It didn't work for his morning nap but we didn't really persist as we were going out for a long walk anyway and knew he'd fall asleep!
He did,2 hours, just enough time to squeeze in a pub lunch grin
He's gone down alot earlier & easier tonight with the help of WN.
It would of been even easier if I hadn't of put it on too loud so when the 2nd track came in it woke him up!!
It is like magic!
I wonder how long he'll settle for tonight??

Pussinflatboots Sun 03-Jul-11 19:08:53

Thanks for this! Found some on spotify and it's working it's magic on dd. Just worried about what happens when the adverts kick in... Good excuse to upgrade perhaps.wink

BenRoo Sun 03-Jul-11 19:42:54

It's great isn't it Pussinflatboots!
Kinda wishing I discovered it earlier but hey ho smile

whysolate Sun 03-Jul-11 19:46:59

I have a fan on in my room at night too TragicallyHip. I have done for years.

It's the only thing that will help me switch off and go to sleep and I'm 33!.

Ponders Sun 03-Jul-11 20:04:20

fans at night are fabulous (& I am considerably older than all of yow)

better than earplugs grin

Bumperlicioso Sun 03-Jul-11 20:39:59

It's great on an iPod or phone. You can put it on timer and set to fade. Though we have discovered the success of the fan this last week.

WorrisomeHeart Sun 03-Jul-11 20:49:20

Totally agree, DS has an air purifier on in his room which really helps to settle. We turn it off when we go to bed but it doesn't seem to wake him, fortunately!

breatheslowly Mon 04-Jul-11 09:28:28

It's great! I have no idea why it doesn't appear in more baby books.

MrsWifty Tue 05-Jul-11 22:01:24

I love white noise - when I discovered the iphone app, I think I told everyone I met about it for days, even complete strangers. The difference it makes to bedtimes and even fussy feeds is just incredible. Now if only they could develop one which made DS sleep through . . .

BenRoo Wed 06-Jul-11 15:43:42

I agree MrsWifty, my DS settles really well with it and will initially sleep for longer i.e. 6 hours but it hasn't managed to make him sleep through...yet wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now