Talk

Advanced search

Catnap and Night wakings

(3 Posts)
Liliben Fri 01-Jul-11 13:58:39

DD is 8 months and has struggled sleeping since we introduced solids 2 months ago. Until then she was BF at 7pm, woke at 1am for BF and then woke at 7am. AFter that we had terrible Night wakings (awake for 2.5 hours at a time)from 1 am onwards and came to the conclusion that it was solids. When we cut back on them she slept better and had bowel movements in the day rather than night. But Night wakings continued every hour though she fell asleep straight away when picked up and cuddled for less than a minute. I know think I've become a prop. She also has a very short awake time for her age, less than 3 hours. She'll happily nap at 9.15 - 11.00 and 1.30 - 2.45 (I wake her for school run) and then 5.15 - 5.45 and bed by 7.30. I've been trying to get rid of this catnap thinking it might help nightime but she falls asleep bF before 6pm. She then starts the following day at 6am. Any advice?

vez123 Sat 02-Jul-11 22:13:59

sounds to me like the catnapping is the problem. Me ds had similar night wakings at that age. I think it was also due to development but we only really improved the situation when we got rid of his morning nap. Sounds like your baby has a long morning nap. If you make the morning nap much shorter your baby will probably sleep longer over lunch and no longer need the late afternoon sleep?
Also re solids. I read somewhere that giving vegetables or fruit in the evening can cause them to poo at night. Could this be an issue?

Liliben Fri 08-Jul-11 09:41:04

Thanks vez. We've actually moved dd to her own room thinking we might have been disturbing her. For the first 3 nights she slept better - 2 nights of sleeping 7 til 1am, bf and back to sleep till 6. She had a shorter am nap because of it and seemes to be doing ok. Third night she slept till 4.30am, struggled to go back to sleep after bf but did at 5.30 and slept til 7.30. But last 2 nights have been dreadful again eventually waking at 4.30 and not going back tosleep at all. She's then gone back to bed after school run and takes longer nap because of it. Pain.

With food DD gets constipated easily so hv told us to give veggies only (no protein or carbs ) at dinner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now