Talk

Advanced search

my 11week old will not re-settle after 45mins sleep

(6 Posts)
toolittletime89 Fri 01-Jul-11 12:52:54

Please could someone help me? My 11 week old will only nap for 45 mins, i know this has probably been discussed to death but I can't seem to find a solution. I know that this is a common problem and is due to her being unable to settle into a deeper level of sleep, resulting in over-tiredness.
Everything I read on the subject states that I must train baby to settle herself...well she,does!! I have a nap routine and she will generally settle to sleep after 5-10 mins of crying. Bedtime is similarly straightforward minus the waking at 45 mins.
I will leave her about 15 mins to re-settle on waking as she is clearly not well rested. I do regularly check on my crying baby!! She will be very close to dropping off but will fight it until finally she is too upset to sleep. I've tried shushing, swaddling, nappy change if required, white noise etc etc to no avail!
I don't understand why she will initially go down easily herself, but can't manage it again!
This is becoming very difficult as she eats every 2.5-3hrs but can only stay awake for 1.5 hours max, so 45min naps are really impacting on her feeding/playing times!
Any advice would be welcome!!! Please?

mistressploppy Fri 01-Jul-11 23:02:50

I had this exact problem - DS would self-settle but couldn't get past the 45min barrier. I just used to put him down for 5 naps a day! He grew out of it at 4-5mo and became the best sleeper ever - 2hr naps, sleeps all night, marvellous smile

How does she sleep at night? And what about in the car/buggy?

A friend of mine was able to 'teach' her DD to get over the 45min hump by putting her down for naps in her pram in the living room. When she noticed her stirring at 45min, she'd rock the pram and her DD would often go back to sleep. After doing that for all naps for a week, she was able to nap in her cot for longer.

Maybe pick one nap a day to concentrate on. I'd suggest the first one, as DC often sleep longer when they're not too tired (weird, I know)

I do sympathise, this drove me NUTS. I hope it gets better soon.

RitaMorgan Fri 01-Jul-11 23:11:22

So does she sleep for longer than 45 minutes at a time at night?

I really wouldn't do controlled crying with such a young baby - it's not recommended on babies under 6 months at the youngest.

My ds was a 45 minute napper until about 7 months. I would resettle him by feeding or rocking him back to sleep for some naps. At 7 months he suddenly grew out of it and started sleeping for 2 hours at a time.

toolittletime89 Sat 02-Jul-11 08:04:42

Yeh she can sleep for like 7hrs straight at night!! She will nod off in her pram but wakes really easily! I'll defianately give it a go though-thannks!
RitaMorgan, I know she may be a bit young but I tried PUPD n would scream non stop hysterically! At one point i just had to leave the room to regroup, i came back after 5mins and she was flat out! I figured that worked for her so works for me. I do feel guilty but I also know that my baby needs her sleep and is doted on at every oppurtunity. She only makes those whingy, tired cries, not high pitched, full-on crying. I couldn't bear to listen to that!
Not the method for everyone, i know. Thank you for the advice though!

beachavendrea Sat 02-Jul-11 19:32:03

don't want ot depress you but my nephew never mananged more than 45 minutes until he was 1. my sister said she tried everything and he just wouldn't nap longer.

if she is self-settling i suspect this may be the case, might just be the way she is, frustrating though as it's not long enough to get anything done.

toolittletime89 Sat 02-Jul-11 20:46:01

Well, i guess i should be happy that she sleeps at night at least! It's funny, for the first few weeks we fret about our babies not sleeping at night n sleeping all day then as soon as they start sleeping at night we fret about them not sleeping in the day! Little monkeys!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now