Talk

Advanced search

Late bedtime for 7mo

(10 Posts)
CocoPopsAddict Wed 29-Jun-11 23:13:49

My 7mo DS goes to bed 'late' for a baby, by most people's standards - I think.

Generally between 10 and 11pm, and then usually sleeps through the night.

This is a pattern that myself and DH are perfectly happy with, and DS seems happy too.

But when I talk about his sleep patterns (isn't that all anyone seems to ask about with babies?!) people seem surprised that he goes to bed so late.

So the question is - do I need to bother changing this, and if so, why? Am I storing up problems for the future?

Oh, and he naps in the day when it pleases him!

MrsRhettButler Wed 29-Jun-11 23:15:43

Dd went whenever at that age, she's now 5 and in reception and has normal sleeping hours

MrsRhettButler Wed 29-Jun-11 23:17:22

In fact it was great! She would sleep until 11am when she went to bed late, I really miss my lie ins

She's still really good at lie ins now in the holidays so it's been a positive thing for us smile

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 29-Jun-11 23:17:38

I think that your DS is still young and sorting out his sleep pattern and as long as you, DH and DS are happy with it, then stuff everyone else. If you need to adjust it in the future you can. There are so many changes to come, his bedtime will be just another one to be changed when it suits y'all to change it.

Graciescotland Wed 29-Jun-11 23:19:46

I'm a fan of if it's working for you then stick with it. I tend to put DS down earlier because I want wine to have some adult time in the evening. However I'm generally up again at four...

Your baby, your rules. It might be easier as he cuts down napping in the day to bring bedtime forward as opposed to letting him sleep later in the long run though.

CocoPopsAddict Wed 29-Jun-11 23:23:09

Great, thanks very much everyone!

firstforthought Fri 01-Jul-11 19:11:43

I recently was trying to change this in my 8month old ds. As his sleeping went haywire and I thought it was caused by not enough sleep. Anyway, the early to bed thing did me no favours either so I am going back to the late to bed thing I think.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 01-Jul-11 19:19:54

The problems will arise when you eventually need to be out the house early in the morning for, say, work, or you have baby number 2 who would b awake very early. Then you would be glad of having your first child in bed at 7.30. Also if you are planning on nursery for your ds then he might struggle there if he is only going to bed at an adult's bedtime.

KD0706 Fri 01-Jul-11 21:52:17

My DD is 14mo and over the past month we've been letting her go to bed later. It seems to have worked and she now either sleeps through the night or just gets up once for a sleep and then straight back to sleep. Previously she was waking 2-3 times a night and taking up to 90 mins to go back to sleep.

She goes to bed at about 9-10 and wakes at 8 ish. Itcan be a pest on the rare occasions I need to get her out of the house early but other than that it's working really well for us.

I say just go with it. If she's anything like my DD it will all be change in a month or so and you'll miss the good nights sleep.

km276 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:56:55

My DD is 7 and a half months and sounds much like your DS - although I would like to get my evenings back. I find that we do the bedtime routine and she goes to sleep usually between half 7 and 8 but to her it is just a nap and she is awake again by half 8. She'll eventually go down between half 10 and 11 but still wakes up a few times in the night. I've tried jiggling bathtime, etc, around but nothing changes this pattern. I'm back to work on Monday and she'll need to be up by 7 so I'm pinning all my hopes on this 'adapting' her sleep pattern smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now