Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2.3yo- drop the nap or not? WWYD?

(12 Posts)
debka Wed 29-Jun-11 08:27:54

So, if I put her in bed after lunch she'll sleep for up to 2hr, normally 1.5. But then at bedtime (7.30) she will play in her bed until finally dropping off at about 9pm. She wakes up cheerful at about 7.15am. However if I don't let her have a rest she gets really grumpy as only 2yos can, but goes straight to sleep at bedtime.

I'm wondering whether I just drop the nap (sob) if will she adjust in a few days?

Any opinions please!

eyethangyou Wed 29-Jun-11 08:32:22

It's worth a try to see if you get an earlier bedtime. You could try reducing the nap to 45 mins first.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 29-Jun-11 08:35:01

I would reduce the nap to less than an hour first. Even if it means you have to wake her up and get her to do something. We used to take DD for a walk straight after her nap to wake her up or she would just go back to sleep. Just round the block would be enough

Bicnod Wed 29-Jun-11 08:36:07

We're in a similar situation with DS - he's 2 and 2 months. We've reduced his nap down to 30/45 minutes now <sob> which means we always have to wake a very sleepy boy but it does mean he goes to sleep at night. If he skips a nap (which occasionally happens if we're out and about) he sleeps for over 12 hours straight at night so I can see that we're heading in that direction but I'm not prepared to let him drop it completely yet as a) I think he still needs it (gets grumpy without it) and b) I'm 38wks pg and want some downtime during the day - even if only half an hour! I wouldn't go straight from 1.5/2 hour nap to nothing - cut down to 45 mins and see what happens (give it a few days to adjust though).

debka Wed 29-Jun-11 09:42:09

Good advice everyone, thanks. I have a 4mo too so i'm reluctant to let her drop it altogether! I'll try the 45 min nap thing, and have cbeebies on something fun for her to do when she gets up.

debka Wed 29-Jun-11 14:18:20

She's had her 45 minutes and is happily watching telly and eatinf cake doing educational crafty type activities.

Bicnod Wed 29-Jun-11 14:20:14

Fingers crossed she'll pass out as soon as her head hits the pillow tonight smile

Imnotaslimjim Wed 29-Jun-11 17:43:38

Hope it goes well for you. I found my DD(3.2) asleep on the sofa before, i'd been out of the room about 15 mins, so I've got my fingers crossed that she wasn't asleep that long or we are in trouble tonight lol

debka Wed 29-Jun-11 20:12:00

Well it seems to have worked! All is quiet from The Girl's room. Will give it a few more days but I'd love it if this works.

Good luck all others!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 30-Jun-11 18:25:53

Glad to hear its going well. My DD finally went to sleep at 11pm, and woke sporadically between 3 and 6, then refused to get up at 7. She is now sat asking to go to bed, and she looks exhausted so we're having a wee cuddle before we do supper and have a wash. Hopefully she'll be in bed and straight to sleep for 7!

pointydog Thu 30-Jun-11 18:39:00

I'd drop it.

mungojerrie Sun 03-Jul-11 20:42:24

A few days later - has the success continued? I am in the same boat and looking for answers!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now