Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reversing the day/night thing

(5 Posts)
LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Tue 28-Jun-11 12:53:49

I know you just have to go with it with a newborn, but still...

New DD (19 days) sleeps nicely all day and is wide awake all night. Any suggestions for gently swapping that round?

Thanks smile

sarahloula Tue 28-Jun-11 14:22:01

No advice I'm afraid but my DD was the same. For the first few weeks she didn't know the difference between day and night (and when she slept all day there was no keeping her awake). A lot of people swear by bedtime routines and sleep cues (i.e bath) but in our case it just seemed to happen naturally. At 10 weeks she now sleeps from 10pm through ti 5/6am with short naps in the day. The only thing we did was when we were doing night feeds we kept the lights as dim as possible.

ShushBaby Wed 29-Jun-11 10:15:16

Things that seemed to work for us (though it could have just been nature taking its course!):
- Waking to feed every three hours in day
- Cluster feeding in evening from around 5pm (every hour iirc)
- Doing evening routine from 6pm: bath, all evening feeds in dimly lit, quiet bedroom, baby put in moses basket after each feed.

Our dd starting sleeping in the evening, and sleeping properly between feeds at night, from around 8 weeks. She didn't reach the dizzy heights of sarahloula's baby however, and was still feeding once or twice in the night til we weaned her off night feeds at 7 months. But it was so nice to have our evenings back.

hth

NicholaGriff Wed 29-Jun-11 20:39:59

I sympathise as we had one of those too!! Things we did:

- Bath / bottle / bed routine
- I would put her in her moses basket upstairs to sleep when it was bedtime in a darkened room and kept her downstairs with general household noise during the day.
- Evening and night feeds done quietly with no lights and no talking.

Hope you find something that works for you!

narmada Thu 30-Jun-11 22:02:00

I would take her out in the sunlight as much as possible - especially mornings and early afternoons. this should help her brain work out which is night and which is day. Also second everyone else's suggestion to feed more often in day - wake her up if needs be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now