Talk

Advanced search

wet through by 4am

(11 Posts)
gentlemantobed Tue 28-Jun-11 07:50:47

Just to see if anyone else has come across this problem and found a solution -
DS never been a good sleeper but with controlled crying things have improved.
Now sleeps 7pm - 330-430am ish.
He is regularly (couple of times a week) wet through when i go to him requiring full nappy and pjs change - then BF in the hope of another hour or two sleep.
Wondering if we should attempt a nappy change at 11pmish - but don't want to reintroduce night waking!
Ant thoughts?

juneau Tue 28-Jun-11 07:54:27

Can you go up to the next size in nappy? I've also heard of putting on two nappies - one on top of the other - at night to reduce leakage.

How old is he? Can you reduce liquids immediately before bedtime so he doesn't need to pee so much at night?

Paschaelina Tue 28-Jun-11 08:02:48

We had exactly the same problem from about 4mo. I did reintroduce a nappy change at 11 for a few weeks but it woke him so completely he was difficult to resettle even with a bf.

We tried every nappy going, and ended up with Nature Baby Eco ones in the biggest size possible for his weight, combined with disposable nappy liners. This worked about 90% of the time and now at 9.5m he seems to be containing the wee without the liner. I think he's spreading out the horse wees rather than doing it all at night now.

gentlemantobed Tue 28-Jun-11 09:53:30

he's nearly 10 months - has sips of water with his tea at 5pm then has 4-5oz milk at 6.30pm so not sure if i can reduce this.
but yes, will give larger nappies and other brands a go. thank you!

NicholaGriff Fri 08-Jul-11 22:21:57

Not sure what brand you are using, but Pampers say in an info leaflet that going up to next size also increases absorbency so would definitely try it.

doblet Sat 09-Jul-11 06:51:51

We had this problem until we went up a nappy size. Same brand (Pampers).

lolfish1 Sat 09-Jul-11 08:02:24

My DS2 is the same age - I always do a quick nappy change (not moving them - just exchanging the wet nappy for a dry one!) in the cot. Obv you have to be pretty fast but if you do this at a point where your LO is nice and sound (I still do a 10pm feed so do it then) s/he shouldn't stir. Worth considering simplifying PJ's so you can do a quick/less "wakey up" change, too! With DS1 I fannied about with those buttony sleepsuits and all that. This time I realised a little vest/bodysuit was miles easier to do a night change with! You can also get those things that look like nighties with elastic round the bottom - bit weird but hey, anything for an extra hour in bed right? Good luck!

WottingerAndWottingerAreDead Sun 10-Jul-11 18:33:32

We found Nature BabyCare the best also- having loads of problems and then when we moved to them only very occasionally.

Wiggins Tue 12-Jul-11 14:23:14

One thing to check is that when you are putting a nappy on him, make sure the little frillly edges are on the outside, not tucked in. If they are tucked in you are much more liable to get a leak.
Re brands, after trying almost all major brands I found that oddly enough the relatively cheap Tesco own brand ones the most reliable. These days we have pretty much no "nappy fails" at all.
(Unless he does a big poo, stands up then sits down hard in which case it squirts up his back. Lovely >.<)

Samvet Tue 12-Jul-11 14:26:55

Had same problem and would try more brands- we use pampers in the day but I found the asda own brand have a thicker bit at the front whcih helped us as my son sleeps on his front.

gentlemantobed Thu 14-Jul-11 15:07:26

Will definately also give the asda brand a try as DS is a tummy sleeper. Have gone up a size in his usual huggies and that seems to be working alot better but hope to pick up some nature babycare when i find them.
Just as we start to get on top of one problem the next rears its ugly head - getting up in the 4's for the last few weeks - oh the joy!?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now