Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Early Waker- 4am!

(7 Posts)
SmallBlue Tue 28-Jun-11 06:41:14

DS is 20 months old. Bad sleeper from the start. I have never felt so exhausted in all my life and have found it very difficult. On the upside, sleeping through the night fell into place recently once he started walking . I can finally guarantee he will sleep from around 7pm without waking.No but now I'm faced with another hurdle- early waking. He can manage a 9 hour stretch, but if I put him to bed a bit later his body clock is set in stone to wake up between 4-5am. We have tried ignoring him, which works for about 20 mins, but then he becomes distraught and won't give up the fight. I have a school age DS1 who is 5 and will sleep through anything ( greet sleeper from the start ), but the time of morning when all the commotion is taking place it has started to disturb him. So I give up when the upset begins and bring him to bed and bf him. After feeding he is a live wire and wants to run around, but this lasts for a short time and he becomes a nightmare to deal with, tired and cranky- like me! He will need to sleep on school run for an hour this morning and then a nap after lunch. He isn't a great eater so meal times are hit and miss. I wondering if hunger is disturbing him. Im finding it hard to sustain such an early waking. Can anyone share some tips with me?

SmallBlue Tue 28-Jun-11 06:46:08

To add. We are buying a bunk bed in the summer hols and moving him out of cot to join DS1. Holding out until summer hols so poor DS1 doesn't have to get up for school if we have some bad mornings. Hoping the change will be for the better.

alwaysright Wed 29-Jun-11 15:12:34

Could it be external noise waking him? i.e. morning corus, ducks quacking??

londontj Thu 30-Jun-11 14:16:16

I feel your pain. 19mo DD has been wide awake and shouting 'MUMMEEE UUUUPPPPP' from 5am for the last few months. I suspect it's down to the light mornings and dawn chorus. Blackout blinds have helped a bit but sunny days are still an issue. I have no words of wisdom just every commiseration and am hoping someone can give us some magic solutions. I am SO bored of feeling so tired, especially after the luxury of her sleeping 12 hours for a few precious months.

spotofcheerfulness Fri 01-Jul-11 06:50:48

I have a 2.5 year old DS who is the same, and a 6mo night waking baby so am on my knees! Thinking of trying wake to sleep. Have you considered that?

YourDaughterHasaTattoo Fri 01-Jul-11 12:11:35

Hi

Had problems with my 9.5 month old waking at 5am recently too. Tried wake to sleep, but back fired dreadfully (screaming baby from 4.15 am grin) so didn't do it again!
Saw this thread revelation (hope the link works) and decided to give it a go. Took two days and he now sleeps until 6am or later (as a general rule, a recent cold upset the boat for a bit), might work for you to cure the early wakings?
Good luck!

SmallBlue Sat 02-Jul-11 15:48:57

Thank you ladies for your repies. Sorry I've not popped back sooner. Not tried the wake to sleep method yet. We went for a walk in the late afternoon and had a slightly later dinner and bath. He ended up falling to sleep just before 7pm and didn't wake until 6am the following morning! I will be trying the walk again tonight and see what happens in the morning. Last night was the longest DS has ever slept - and me in a long time! Feels so good. 6am still very early but makes a huge difference to us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now