Talk

Advanced search

Was I a total idiot to use a black out blind from birth for DD?

(4 Posts)
carpetcleaningwizard Mon 27-Jun-11 21:25:51

Exactly that. She had a small room with velux window and we had a black out blind made. Even though it always let in some light, the room was always dusky in the day. Since I trained the life out of her to sleep in the day in her cot - which she did, brilliantly - she obviously grew used to darkness.

7 months later. We've moved house. We're currently in limbo as wait for house to complete and past two days she's cried A LOT being put down. Can't decide if she's just teething bad (she's become VERY whingy generally) or whether it's because the room she's now in is much brighter.

We put up a travel black out blind and ten minutes she was no longer crying, but babbling and self-settling.

So. My point is: have we messed up massively by using one? Rod. For. Own. Back scenario...

MissPenteuth Tue 28-Jun-11 12:55:30

With newborns and sleep, you do what you have to. It could be that she's used to sleeping in the dark though; could you use the blind at first, and somehow change the window covering to lighten the room gradually?

PssstOverHere Tue 28-Jun-11 14:24:38

I'm hoping not, we have both of ours sleep with a blackout blind. DH and I have always had a black out blind in our room though so never thought it was odd. My eldest is nearly 2.5yrs and still sleeps nearly 2 hours at lunch time (and 7pm to 7am) which I'm sure she wouldn't do without the blind, and I am the envy of many of my friends because it gives me time to mumsnet get housework done.

I say if its not broke don't fix it, could you buy a black out roller blind for her new room?

In terms of 'rod for back' its only ever been a problem for us if we have been staying somewhere with very light curtains and I usually just take a travel black out blind with us. Its never dawned on me that its a problem really, maybe in a few years I'll be cursing it?!

pleasethanks Tue 28-Jun-11 14:31:50

Nah, you do what you have to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now