Talk

Advanced search

How to get my co-sleeping baby into his cot

(6 Posts)
Finnsmumbex Sat 25-Jun-11 19:16:13

Hi

I've been co-sleeping with my 10-week-old but now I want to get him into his cot. At the moment he sleeps in his pram from 8ish until 1.30-2ish when he wakes up and I bring him into bed for the rest of the night. He usually goes to sleep from us rocking him back and forth in his pram so I'm wondering how I can get him to fall asleep in his cot - anyone got any tips?

Thanks

PinkSchmoo Sat 25-Jun-11 22:10:33

Hi finnsmum. No suggestions I'm afraid but thought your post looked a bit lonely. 7wo over here but not co-slept. Trying to get him to settle in Moses basket better and really seems to be all about consistency, develop a routine and stick with it. We are doing the pretty standard feed bath feed bed sandwich but trying to reduce his belief that I am a 5ft6 dummy so patting over in arms and in. Swaddling is best thing since sliced bread if you aren't doing it do. Looking at pu/pd as he is a nightmare napper. Good luck!

Finnsmumbex Sat 25-Jun-11 23:13:45

Thanks PinkSchmoo. He sleeps really well in his pram (which is the equivalent of a moses basket as it's a basinet style), but he's getting too big for it so HAVE to get him in his cot soon. Thing is he doesn't feed to sleep - he doesn't really get sleepy on the boob (weird I know). The only thing that works is to rock back and forth in the pram. And his dummy works a treat, until it falls out that is!

RitaMorgan Sat 25-Jun-11 23:16:37

I kind of patted ds as a bridge between rocking and going to sleep in the cot - I'd lie him on his side and pat his bum quite firmly so his head wobbled a bit. Think it made him feel like he was in motion grin

Finnsmumbex Sat 25-Jun-11 23:22:36

Oooh good tip. I'll give that a go next time smile

PatronSaintOfDucks Sat 09-Jul-11 21:15:33

Put child in a cot with one side down, jammed against your bed? After some time (week, month, two, whatever suits you) put the cot side up. Keep gradually moving cot away from your bed. That's my plan, at least. DS co-slept from birth to about 2 months, and has been in a cot with side down since then. I don't think he even noticed the change. He is 5 months now. Once, when we were away, he slept in a separate cot in our room in a friend's house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now