Talk

Advanced search

Advice for toddler bedtime

(2 Posts)
lucamom Thu 23-Jun-11 23:40:48

I have 2 boys, aged 4 and 2 (will be 3 in August) who have shared a room since Xmas. Initially they adapted well to sharing and went to sleep with no problems.

Lately, however, my youngest son has ben very disruptive at bedtime; constantly getting out of bed and generally playing up.

I'd welcome any thoughts or advice - the key points for info are:

- He's always been a relatively good sleeper

- I'm a SAHM so he sees me all day, and Daddy is usually home in time for bath/story/bed duties

- He's no worse/better with either myself or DH

- We've always had a consistent bedtime routine as per advice - bath, story bed, so he knows the triggers and signs for bedtime

- We're not sure exactly, but it seems to have started from potty training. He's dry in the day but wears pull ups at night (these are usually dry in the morning)

- He seems to be amused the more cross we get, and finds 'rapid return' hilarious, even after 40-50 times of doing it.

- There's a blackout blind at the window as well as curtains, although during the summer months there is some light in the room

- In every other way he's a good kid - his health is great, he eats well, and by the time he goes to bed at 7pm he's tired enough that he should sleep.

It's a very stressful situation we want to get on top of asap, not least because his brother is starting school in September and he's going to nursery, and we've baby number 3 due in October!

Thanks in advance for your advice

MovingAndScared Fri 24-Jun-11 09:41:32

does he seem tired? it could be a bit of a later bedtime might help?
are they going to be at the same time - you could try keeping DS1 up - or giving them bath together and then older one goes down stairs for a bit so you can settle DS2 first
try not to react at all - although its maddening -getting cross is just as much attention as anything
and it might not be for everyone but either have DS1 downstair or settling him in your room maybe -assume he is not sleeping well either and put a stair gate on their bed room and just ignore him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now