Talk

Advanced search

6 month old waking hysterically and often, any ideas

(9 Posts)
Janus Wed 08-Oct-03 21:22:40

It's been a while since I've had the time to visit Mumsnet and I've missed it!
I'm so desperate for any kind of help I can't even begin to tell you all. I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and the 6 month old has been terrible at sleeping from around 4 months (she would wake about every 3 hours from 0-4 months which now sounds like heaven!).
She basically goes down around 6.45/7.00pm, I leave the room while she is awake and she goes to sleep quite quickly. Within an hour she's awake again, sometime she can be soothed back to sleep quickly, sometimes fed back to sleep and sometimes won't go back to sleep, and screams, for 2 hours. This pattern continues for the whole night, ie waking every hour either really briefly, for a feed or completely distressed taking hours to calm.
I am exhausted.
She does feed during the day, 3 meals a day, but doesn't have huge milk feeds. She is breastfed at night (couldn't get bottles every hour!) and when she first wakes up and during the morning she will have a small feed. After lunch I try and get some of a bottle in her, trying to last about 2 hours after lunch but even then she ususally only takes about 2 or 3 oz. She eats a decent tea and I feed her a bottle before bedtime, again only about 5 oz if I'm lucky.
I recently tried the 'Ferber' approach of letting her cry and me going in every 5 minutes but after a week of each time she woke for 2+ hours I gave up as she wasn't 'getting it'. I've also tried a dummy, she won't have it, her sleeping in with us, she just wriggles and gets upset, her cot being in our room, no difference and now her being in her own room. She has a good bath/bedtime routine which never alters. She is exhausted by 6.45pm and I can't seem to delay her bedtime.
She sleeps for a total of about 2.5 hours during the day, is quite OK about going down and some sleeps can be 1 or 1.5 hours.
It's nightimes that are terrible and I'm seriously just about to collapse.
Can anyone spot anything I'm obviously doing wrong?
I tried going to the GP today who is awful (at 4 months when this first starting happening she told me she thought my baby was bored which is why she was waking for attention for 2 hours at a time), today she thought I needed to join some 'mother and toddler' groups, as if that would solve her sleep problem!! I asked her if there could be anything medically wrong and she took her temperature and said 'no'. I walked out in tears and disgust at her crap 'investigation' of my daughter. Can anyone else think of anything medically it could be?
Any advice or help will be a godsend.
Thanks for listening!

CONNEELY Wed 08-Oct-03 21:28:26

i had the same when my daughter was her age,dont worry things do improve,was ur 1st child like this?
i may be wrong but i believed that abi suffered night terrors,not 100 percent sure what it is but a friend stayed the nite and said it sounded like it.well i talked to my health vistor and she said it could be,just try and shh her bk to sleap and thankfully she now sleeps thru the night and when she does make a noise its in her sleap.

CONNEELY Wed 08-Oct-03 21:28:32

i had the same when my daughter was her age,dont worry things do improve,was ur 1st child like this?
i may be wrong but i believed that abi suffered night terrors,not 100 percent sure what it is but a friend stayed the nite and said it sounded like it.well i talked to my health vistor and she said it could be,just try and shh her bk to sleap and thankfully she now sleeps thru the night and when she does make a noise its in her sleap.

CONNEELY Wed 08-Oct-03 21:28:46

CONNEELY Wed 08-Oct-03 21:29:41

sorry dont know what happened there...

Posey Wed 08-Oct-03 21:36:48

What a time you're having. Don't know if these are things you have considered or if relevant; Is she weaned? If so did you do it at 4 months and if so did this coincide with her changing sleep pattern? If so could it be something in her diet thats irritating her or causing her pain or a tummy ache or something?
If she's only recently or not yet weaned may she be hungry?
Is she teething?
Is she sleeping in the dark and scared, or with a night light/ landing light and it TOO light?
I'm really no expert,just a mum who had 2 poor sleepers for a time. Hope things get better for you both soon. You both sound exhausted and then it all becomes a chore instead of a pleasure. Let me know how things go.

ninja Wed 08-Oct-03 21:50:43

Hi Janus, you poor thing you must be exhausted and I hought I had problems. I've only got 2 nights experience of an improved sleeper - but as it did coincide with me leaving my dirty T-shirt lying across her I can only assume this has helped.

bobthebaby Wed 08-Oct-03 21:59:46

Did the crap sleeping co-incide with the solid food or introducing formula? Does she eat any common allergens, wheat, tomatoes etc.
I'm currently trying probiotic powder mixed with pear, flax seed oil along with a diet free of any common allergens, and not eating dairy or eggs myself as I am bfing. Nights are getting a little better, at least the screaming has stopped. Please give me a bit more detail about what she eats.

pupuce Wed 08-Oct-03 22:10:13

Hi Janus

We've missed you

I can't add any suggestion YET to what has veen posted..... you do have all my sympathy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: