Talk

Advanced search

Very wriggly co-sleeper. Normal? How to respond?

(1 Post)
autumnberry Thu 23-Jun-11 10:44:37

DS has co-slept since birth. It has been working nicely for us. However, DS is very wriggly and and a bit noisy (a few squeaks and grunts). Because we sleep together I feel every wriggle and hear every sound. He is now 11 weeks old. I need some tips on which wriggles to respond to, if any. When he was younger it usually meant that he needed feeding (roughly every three hours) and he would take the breast avidly. Now, however, as he is getting older I'm sure that each wriggly phase (still roughly 3 hours apart) does not require a feed. He is asleep with eyes closed, no rooting or lip smacking and when I offer the breast he either declines or just take about a 2-3 min suck. I don't want to be disturbing him unnecessarily, and also want to encourage any natural inclinations that he might have to extending his sleeping and to sleeping through the night. But I also don't want to ignore his needs (not always clear to me in a sleepy state in the dark at night when not wanting to put lights on etc). My HV and my mum have said to just ignore him unless he cries (of course my mother thinks him being in a cot would solve the problem). Any help/tips would be appreciated. He goes to sleep pretty much routinely at 9pm and usually has a dependable 'proper' feed at about 2am. Usual waking time is about 8am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now