Talk

Advanced search

self soothing

(10 Posts)
nichan Wed 22-Jun-11 19:49:55

Hey ladies after some advice for our 9 week old. She has been suffering from reflux but has recently been put on some medcine which has really helpped. So far she has been rocked to sleep in her moses basket at the start of the night, in the middle of the night simply falls asleep during burping after feed. We have recently put her into her cot i would like for her to be led down and be able to fall asleep on her own. Any tips on how to teach her to self soothe , she doesnt like dummys at all, at the mo she just gets really sad sad till i pick her up for a cuddle.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 22-Jun-11 19:57:13

nichan haven't got any advice on self soothing sorry but have you tried swaddling?

Thought you might like this thread too.

girliefriend Wed 22-Jun-11 20:01:48

9 wks is still really little, I second swaddling, make sure the room is really dark, soothing music, I know its not the done thing but I sometimes found dd settled better if she was put down on her side (once she fell asleep I'd put her on her back) sometimes I would sit next to the cot and gently pat her tummy and make a shooshing sound!!!

Once she gets a bit older it does get eaiser I promise! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 22-Jun-11 20:21:59

This book is good too.

nichan Wed 22-Jun-11 20:38:13

swaddling? is that wrapping her in a swaddle blanket? we use dream pods as they are cot death preventer. shes our second however her sis liked dummys guess she is a lil young but thought it was best to teach self soothing early...... already have low lights at bed. she is fantastic goes to bed 7 has feed at 1030 3am then 630am. was just wondering what works for comforting really

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 22-Jun-11 20:47:51

You don't have to buy anything special to swaddle, you just have to make sure that the swaddle blanket is light so that the baby won't overheat. Have a look here.

As for self settling there is some info here.

nichan Fri 24-Jun-11 19:57:50

Thanks for the info, it's not that she has trouble through the night or staying asleep she sleeps really well just wondered about finding a way for her to get her self off to sleep from the start of the night if that makes any sense. Is fine though she now has a snuggie which she loves and a gentle rock soon sends her off for the night, am happy to do this as on reflection she prob is too young to self sooth and her reflux can also add difficulties for her bless. Not really into the swaddling thing as we are very happy with the dream pods gives us peace of mind when sleeping. :-)

DialsMavis Fri 24-Jun-11 20:14:58

Just keep trying to put her down a tiny bit awake, then picking her up if she doesn't like it. Little by little she will relax and get the idea. I never woke DD up if she fell asleep on me, but just tried to gently catch the bit before she nodded right off. Your DD can obviously self soothe to a certin extent as she stays asleep so long in the night- my DD was exactly like this and has been thus far a fabulous sleeper.
< toiucehs everything wooden or vaguely woodesque anywhere to hand>

RitaMorgan Fri 24-Jun-11 20:19:18

Mine didn't start self-settling til 7 months, and didn't do it reliably til 9 months. He still sometimes likes his back rubbed as he's dropping off now. I didn't see much point in pushing him to do it earlier as it was no bother rocking or patting him to sleep really, and he just got upset otherwise. Obviously if you're having to spend hours rocking a baby to sleep then it's different!

nichan Sat 25-Jun-11 19:38:37

Thankyou smile like the little by little idea. But doesnt take long to rock her so both good :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now