Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

moving baby into own room and sleeping bags or sheets?

(3 Posts)
fireflyz Tue 21-Jun-11 22:03:56

DS is 7 mo, and DH and I are wondering whether he'd be better sleeping in his own room - and whether it would be better for DH and me too as we think that our going to bed disturbs him sometimes. Plus we'd like our room back....

BUT I feel very nervous of him going into his own room... would be terrible if anything happened... should we wait another few months.... does it make that much difference now we are over the 6 months mark?

I remember when DS was very small, he would sometimes stop breathing in the night, and Dh and I would breathe very loudly and deeply and DS would start snoring away again - perhaps this is baby apnoea? I dread to think what would have happened if we had not been there... but I think he must be OK now as we are able to put him to bed about 2 or 3 hours before we go up, and he is happily sleeping until around our bedtime, when at the moment he seems to want another feed (approx 10 or 11pm). So perhaps this strange not breathing thing is over...

We don't smoke and baby sleeps on his back so I think the SIDS risk is lessened for DS as a result...

It sounds like such a simple thing but it feels really daunting and like a huge wrench to not have him there sleeping beside us...

I think we'll miss the way he smiles and 'chatters' to us when he wakes up in the morning.

Also - we've been using bedsheets since day 1, and now I wonder if, when he goes into his own room, would he be safer in a sleeping bag?
We tried out a sleeping bag recently, but DS seemed to kick against it and I wonder if it restricted him more than he is used to... but he often kicks his sheets off just before he wakes up at the moment...

Does it take time for the baby to get used to the sleeping bags?

Any tips for getting baby used to sleeping in a different room - I was thinking of putting up our travel cot (not yet used) in his room and using it for daytime naps so he gets used to sleeping in there - although he can usually sleep anywhere so long as its not really noisy.

Sorry for long rambling post - thanks in advance for thoughts and advice x

breatheslowly Wed 22-Jun-11 09:10:00

Our DD (now 9mo) moved into her own room at about that age. If she has a disturbed night then she comes back in with us - so don't feel that it is forever or that once he is out you have to leave him there every night.

When DD wakes up in the morning we bring her in to us and have all of the smiles and chatters. Plus she crawls all over us with her pointy elbows and kicking feet smile.

She has been in sleeping bags since about 3 weeks, so I don't know what it is like to switch at this stage.

We just moved DD into her own room when we had been away for a weekend, so she was a bit unsettled anyway. I haven't managed to get her to nap in her cot, she naps in her buggy.

I can't comment on the sleep apnoea.

YogaMummy2B Wed 22-Jun-11 09:46:16

I would buy an Angelsounds baby monitor if I were you. It is a movement sensor monitor and if the breathing thing happens it lets out a high pitched squeal to startle them into breathing again. Will give you a little peace of mind. I bought one for my DD as I knew I wouldn't be able to relax without it.
My other suggestion is to use the baby sleeping bag for a few days in her current environment to get him used to it. The bambino merino one is lovely and soft and light and lasts until Approx 2yrs old, so investment piece!
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now