Talk

Advanced search

How many times does your 3 m.o. feed in the night?

(5 Posts)
brownrabbit Tue 21-Jun-11 09:21:54

I'm wondering if I need a reality check... Most of the mums I know have babies sleeping through from around 10 weeks. Mine used to be up every hour for a feed, but she's now down to 2 feeds (usually around 2 and 5am) but I feel like she "should" be sleeping through or at least just 1 feed. What's normal?! She's EBF, usually goes to sleep after a feed at 8pm. Have tried dream-feeding, but seems to make no difference at all.

Also, she thrashes around in the bed A LOT, so even if she's asleep, I'm not. Any tips much appreciated! We never swaddled her as she hated it when little, tried a couple of times since but she just works her way out.

Kat3L Tue 21-Jun-11 09:51:24

My DS is 14 weeks and tends to sleep in 2-4 hour chunks and feeds 2 or 3 times during the night We have had a tantalising glimpse though of (hopefully) things to come over the last two weeks when he did an incredible 7 hours one night and 8 hours a week later. I haven't been able to work out though what I did differently if anything to get the longer sleeps - very frustrating!

We also had a noisy sleeper, we nicknamed him 'goat boy' due to his farmyard-esque noises! Cute but not in the middle of the night! I did a bit of googling and MN searches and thought he may have mild reflux. We raised one end of his cot which is one thing that was recommended and he's much quieter now - fingers crossed, touch wood etc as I don't want to tempt fate.

Before we raised the cot my DP helped by sleeping in with him at weekends and one night during the week while I was in the spare room with ear plugs. My DP woke me up for feeds but at least I'd had periods of undisturbed sleep.

I hope you start getting better sleeps soon. Hang in there.

brownrabbit Tue 21-Jun-11 17:57:31

Thanks Kat. Reading other posts on here it sounds like twice a night is pretty normal, so I guess my friends are just lucky... Might try the raising the cot thing, though. I've started sneaking off to the spare room too - I thought it was the blokes that were supposed to do that!

Hope yours keeps up the longer sleeps!

Kat3L Tue 21-Jun-11 18:31:13

Thanks brownrabbit and fingers crossed for you too.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 21-Jun-11 22:06:33

I wonder about these babies who 'sleep through' so young. I have spoken to one mum who's baby 'sleeps through', except for two feeds! Her definition of sleeping through differs to mine!

My twins are 8 months now, and breastfed (though I don't think formula feeding would help). They still wake two or three times each between bedtime (6pm - 7pm ish) and morning (6am - 7am ish). I don't think this is abnormal (though it is bloody knackering!).

My advice is to go to bed when your baby does a few times a week. Bizarrely, it has taken me 8 months to come up with that simple plan, but I'll be trying it tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now