Talk

Advanced search

Giving a dummy to an 11 month old for the first time to help sleep?

(4 Posts)
butternut234 Tue 21-Jun-11 05:25:54

Should I do it? My baby wakes at least every 2 hours at night and I feed to sleep (breastfeeding). Recently it's been harder and harder to put him down as he wakes up again wanting to comfort suck.

Should I try a dummy? He has 6 teeth - would that be a problem?

Need to do something and controlled crying and co sleeping are not options.

Thanks!

stickwithit Tue 21-Jun-11 15:45:57

Personally I would try it. You cannot underestimate the ill-effects of broken nights.

I realise dummies are a big no-no for some people, and pre-DC I hated to see them, but in my case they saved my sanity. DC teeth are perfect.

There is no guarantee that it will help but it is worth a try.

Good luck.

NicholaGriff Tue 21-Jun-11 19:29:55

I have recently taken away my 8 MO's dummy as I found she was waking in the night for it. Since taking it away, she has not woken during the night once!

I am a complete advocate of dummies, and they have helped me through some very challenging times, but will try to resist giving it back to her again. I would be wary of introducing to your son anything that may make him wake more.

Does he have a toy you could try to get hom to Bond with that can be his blankie??

olivo Tue 21-Jun-11 20:01:36

My DD only bonded with her blankie when she was 14 mo, so maybe worht a try before you go for a dummy. She had started waking again, and this saved us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now