Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

8.5mo with night wind - please help!

(7 Posts)
Feggy Mon 20-Jun-11 06:54:59

Please help! My 8.5mo DS is waking in the night; we think with wind. He has been having solids for about 3.5 months and has always been a bit windy (very colicky baby), but now he's up 3-4 times a night. As a SAHM while DH works, it is therefore always me who gets up to see to him (DH does try to help at weekends but is a bit slow in waking so I'm always there before him!).

I've tried moving his main meal to the middle of the day and simply giving fruit and yoghurt, but he then woke hungry. We've tried shifting from starter formula to follow on milk (he's never been breast fed due to a late diagnosed tongue tie, although he did get expressed milk for about 6 weeks - he was still colicky even then!) and back again.

We hoped being able to move might help, but crawling and standing, while helping in the day, seem to do nothing at night. If anything, it makes matters worse as he stands and cries, gets wound up if I'm not there quickly enough and falls over!

I'm now about out of my tree with exhaustion ( although reading other threads I should be grateful it's not every 20 mins!), and have no idea where to go next. Doctor was very unhelpful as said that he'd grow out of it, but he hasn't and homeopathic stuff she prescribed didn't help. HV also loath to help as I've seen doctor so she didn't want to interfere!

Please help with some suggestions - I can provide more food info if it will help!

Thanks in advance!

Iggly Mon 20-Jun-11 09:44:33

Hi I have a windy baby too!

When you say fruit and yoghurt, do you mean he has that for tea? If so, that'll make it worse at night. Same with bread, pasta, beans, green veg etc.

I also give DS a sip of peppermint tea with his meals which gets a lot of the wind out before bedtime.

Have you considered whether or not he's dairy intolerant? Milk and yoghurt can be the worse culprits giving wind, tummy ache etc whereas cheese can be less of a problem (makes DS trump a lot but he couldn't have any before 18 months).

Iggly Mon 20-Jun-11 11:40:39

Hi I have a windy baby too!

When you say fruit and yoghurt, do you mean he has that for tea? If so, that'll make it worse at night. Same with bread, pasta, beans, green veg etc.

I also give DS a sip of peppermint tea with his meals which gets a lot of the wind out before bedtime.

Have you considered whether or not he's dairy intolerant? Milk and yoghurt can be the worse culprits giving wind, tummy ache etc whereas cheese can be less of a problem (makes DS trump a lot but he couldn't have any before 18 months).

Feggy Mon 20-Jun-11 12:23:25

Yes. It is usually baked potato with cheese and then stewed fruit or toast and fruit or similar as a "proper" meal resulted in him being up every 20 minutes! sad

Don't know what else to try in the evenings though! All the books say beans on toast/ lentil soup (never again for either of these!) so a bit stuck for ideas.

Don't think it's milk intolerance's he seems fine after breakfast/lunch when he has he most milk etc.

Have just noticed a translucent shape on his bottom gum and he is drooling more, so maybe teeth causing it and the wind is just a side issue?

So many possibilities... sad

Iggly Mon 20-Jun-11 12:57:29

Could be - sometimes I think teeth make DS windy.

You could try skipping the fruit and toast at tea time so just a jacket potato with whatever?

Feggy Mon 20-Jun-11 16:02:09

Yeah. Think I'll try plain baked potato with some butter and see how it goes.

As a side note, I've just been bitten - so looks like teeth are an option for the waking. Will try Calpol/Calgel before bedtime... Just need to find his toothbrush and paste now! grin

Iggly Mon 20-Jun-11 21:19:48

grin good luck! Do consider a sip of peppermint tea too - it gets DS trumping so settles his tummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now